Disappointment of the week with hondo on the Pub Forum

Pub Type

Greene King
Page: 1 2 3

Will Larter left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

Visiting on a Saturday afternoon is probably not recommended, but at least the warm, sunny weather meant that a fair number of people were sitting outside - in fact, by the time we came to join them it was standing room only out there. Given the popularity of the place, it was no surprise there was a queue for the bar and even when we followed the suggestion of moving around the corner to the hitherto empty bar extension, it still took 10 minutes to get served. There was a good selection of non-Greene King beers, mostly (if not all) local, which is to be applauded. Greene King get quite a bit of abuse, mostly because of their size and the concomitant industrial quality of their beers, but there are now a number of their pubs with a progressive beer policy. I went for the Nottingham Centurion, a 4.9% dark mild, while my companions went for the Welbeck Abbey Portland Black, with which I was already familiar; both beers were in very good condition. For a good look around the pub, on the other hand, I think I shall return on a wintery Tuesday afternoon.

On 6th May 2018 - rating: 7

Al Bundy left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

A large modern Wetherspoons like pu.... Well, maybe not. As its well reviewed here I'll give it a go. Multi-roomed with cave-like areas to sit, a dining room up some steps by the bar, a 'haunted snug' to the rear of the servery and a small outside bit to the right of the servery. 9 handpumps that I saw with Welbeck Abbey, Derventio and some other brewery on today.

On 27th April 2017 - rating: 8

Rex Rattus left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

It seems that just about anybody who is anyone has visited this pub and reviewed it, so I thought I might as well have a go as well. Whether or not it really is the country’s oldest pub, as it claims, is anyone’s guess, but it most definitely is old. Built into the side of the hill, it has several different nooks, crannies and small drinking areas surrounding the servery. There are a couple of banks of pumps that I saw, so one has to make the effort to push past the throng in front of the first bar (that’s the way it was during my recent early evening visit) to see what ales are on at the back of the bar. Although it’s a Greene King house their ales didn’t dominate. We had pints of Shipstone’s Gold Star blond, which was a decent enough drop.

It must be over ten years since my previous visit, and I’m glad to say that it doesn’t seem to have changed one bit. It’s a pub full of character, and a must for any pub enthusiast visiting Nottingham. But for that reason it’s very popular and does get very busy. But it’s worth the effort nonetheless.

On 6th December 2016 - rating: 8

Alex Conway left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

A Nottingham institution and by far and away the best Geene King pub I have ever visited. The pub is carved into the caves of castle rock and is a wonderful tourist attraction. As you can imagine with theirr label “oldest inn in England" it does see its fair share of tourists but with credit to Greene king they have not taken advantage with their prices, keeping them very reasonable for the area and ensuring that locals still frequent that gives a nice mix of regulars and visitors.
A reason why I think I like this place so much is because though it is Greene king their brand and products are sparkly promoted giving the feel of a genuine free house with usually only one of their beers available such as IPA (although hardy and Hansons beers do usually feature as a homage to the pub formerly being owned by Kimberly, some could argue this means a few of GK beers are on offer). On my latest visit NO Green king beers were on offer instead there was a stellar choice of beers from the likes of Theakston’s (old perculier) Nottingham (Foundry mild) Oakham (infernio) as well as several others all from local breweries. My pint of Shipstons original was was in lovely condition and reasonable at £3.3 and I got a CAMRA discount on top of that. This pub really does tick all the boxes, good selection good quality, reasonable prices and an amazing atmosphere, truly a unique gem of a pub and one to visit for any Nottingham tourist.

On 15th January 2016 - rating: 9

Peter Rydings left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

Called here many times had a bad visit girl behind the bar hada face like a slapped a--e did not want to be there growled at us pulled to very bad pints of old trip Will call back like we always do when in this city

On 4th July 2014 - rating: 1

john mcgraw left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

A pub that has rooms all over the place with some cut into the rock. As well as Greene King beers there was a selection of good local beers.A bit of a tourist trap.

On 19th June 2013 - rating: 7
[User has posted 2037 recommendations about 2018 pubs]

Gill Smith left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

I agree this is a pub I think needs viewing. I seem to find I only go these days if I am with someone who hasn't been before. We went soon after they opened and had a good walk round the various nooks and crannies before settling down with a beer. We had Milestone Old English and Greene King Moreland Old Golden Hen. They were just ok beers really, not outstanding. Food looks interesting if a bit pricey. Feels more of a tourist attraction than a bar, which I suppose it is.

On 12th April 2013 - rating: 6

Quinno _ left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

The Pub in Nottingham That Everyone Knows was always going to feature on my visit to the city and came burdened with a certain level of expectation (and tourists, like me). Claiming to be the oldest pub in Britain - along with a dozen others of course - this one has the ‘built into the rock by the castle’ factor which gives it claims a bit of geological credence. Many others below have had a bash at describing the place better than I, so I’ll hit the bullet points instead of adding superfluous flowery prose:

*multi-roomed, lots of little cave spaces to hide away in with your beer but cramped as a consequence
* ring on the horn game but often can’t be played as tables in the way
* no TV, no background music
* cursed galleon/pregnancy chair rubbish
* converted bar upstairs now sells tourist tat
* small bar downstairs means you’re in for a wait most days
* restaurant upstairs further reducing capacity
* suit of armour
* tapestry depicting Nottingham history

The pub, having been acquired by Greene King after their takeover of Hardy & Hansons, now contains a chunk of their beers (including their remix of H&H Olde Trip) alongside beers from the local Nottingham brewery, five in total on my visit (though sometimes there are more). The two Notts beers I had were in good shape and tasty enough, reasonably priced given I was expecting getting on for £4 a pop. The small courtyard area out the front looked like a good summer’s lounger, being in the shadow of the castle.

This is one of those pubs you must do at least once. There's so much character even if its fame makes for a slow and uncomfortable visit for large periods of the week. As with any tourist destination, be clever about when you visit and there’s much to enjoy here.

On 18th November 2011 - rating: 9

Steve of N21 left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

More tourist venue than traditional pub (but not going to bemoan that as I qualified as one on the day), and another of those places that purports to be the oldest Inn in England. Well I suppose one of them has to be. But in saying that, this is a must do pub venue when visiting Nottingham and I’m thoroughly glad I’ve ticked this one off.
The pub has been well described by previous reviewers so I won’t repeat any of that, except to say the Nottingham ales saves this from just being a dreary GK outlet, and the Rock Mild was very good. And once you’ve finished having a good look round it best to find somewhere to park your bum, as the layout of the pub means wherever you stand , you will be in the way of someone.

On 17th November 2011 - rating: 8

Soup Dragon left this review about Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem

A great looking irregular shaped building that extends into the caves behind. The pub is white painted brick, with black window frames and doorway, which look early Georgian to me. The pub claims to be the oldest in the universe – I assume it goes by the date of the rock, but as others claim to be the oldest in Nottingham alone, one takes it with a pinch of salt. Indeed, the pub was once called the Pilgrim, but with the fondness we have incorrectly using ‘Ye’ for ‘the’ and adding the extra ‘e’ in words to give some sort of pedigree, the old became olde – funny, why didn’t they didn’t stick an ‘e’ on the end of Trip? There are patio areas at the front and the rear.

The interior has a plethora of rooms over a couple of floors. Upstairs, there is the a lounge bar, with its own serving bar. It is in white and wood panel, with rock ceiling and wood floor, as well as a little brick fireplace. It is adorned with interesting ephemera and there is a shop here as well. A passage connects this with another room which I didn’t see. The ground floor encompasses the serving bar. The first room on entry is rock hewn, and has a stone flag floor, with red leather seats and stools. The most prominent feature here is the black painted brick fireplace, but it has the ring the bull game – which you clearly can’t play if anyone is sitting here! There is a small drinking area at the foot of the steps, where we sat at one visit. Moving around the bar you enter the lounge, which is a rectangular room in white and wood panel, tile floor, with a fireplace at one end. The roof is supported by a post and again, the seating is red leather covered. Lots of photos and pictures are on the walls and a suit of armour watches on – which also doesn’t date to 1189. Up a few stairs at the back there is a small ante-room, which feels like a front room, with red seating, tiled fireplace and interesting clock. They do food but I have never eaten here so can’t comment on that. There is no TV and there was no background music. The service was fine and the clientele consisted of busy mixed crowd- many tourists I am sure.

Beer; the usual tap stuff with GK IPA, Abbot, Old Trip, Spekky Hen, Notts Brewery’s Legend, EPA and a decent enough Centurion MILD on handpull

Greene King beer it may be, but Notts Brewery stuff is better and the pub itself is really worth a visit despite playing to the tourist market. I go every time I am in Nottingham – but for half!

On 17th November 2011 - no rating submitted