Beer of the Week (w/e 24th October 2021) with aleandhearty on the Pub Forum

W2
W2 2NH

Pub Type

Fuller's

Reviews of The Victoria (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Victoria

I can remember coming here some years ago with my Luton Town mates after a game somewhere in London, but for some reason my memory is hazy and I was glad of an opportunity to refresh it. I was probably one of the first customers through the door, and after I had taken a seat and started to look around at the beautiful features of this heritage pub I was taken aback when the woman who had served me dashed up the cellar steps calling out "don't drink that!". It's all right, it wasn't line cleaner, it was just Fullers London Pride from pretty close to the bottom of the barrel - I'd taken a sip without really noticing that it wasn't crystal clear. Honestly, I've had worse beer and drunk it without complaint, but the replacement - drawn straight from the barrel so that I didn't have to wait - was absolutely tip top.

And indeed so was everything about this pub - I even went up the tight spiral staircase to look at the Theatre Bar and Library Room (as well as downstairs to the toilet!) - but just looking around the main room on the ground floor is a feast for the eyes. Lovely mirrors everywhere, excellent wood panelling, even the wallpaper drew admiring glances. I told the server and the manager about the London's Beautiful Pubs route that I was following, and they were pleased that I had chosen to start with their pub. They wished me an enjoyable afternoon as I was leaving. I'll remember this visit a lot better than the previous one.

On 4th October 2021 - rating: 10

Tris C left this review about The Victoria

Somewhat embarrassingly, this was a first time visit as I only live about 40 minutes' walk from here though further out than Tony Blair whose local this once was.
I won't bother describing the interior as it's well covered below, especially so on CAMRA's heritage pub website. Pestilence prevention measures were in place but not obtrusively so: just a spritz of gloop then scan the QR code, so non-smartphone owners probably won't be able to get in.
Friendly staff guided us to our table and with a tab in place, we went for a Sunday roast each which was very good indeed. However, the bill for two small glasses of wine, a pint and two dinners was £57 which means that each roast was probably around £20 a head, which is an awful lot, even if the portion sizes were generous.
For the record, Pride and ESB on pump but salvation came in the form of a pint of Hophead and in good condition too.
I would expect to make a return soon as this is a must-visit if in the area.

On 7th September 2020 - rating: 8

Ian Mapp left this review about The Victoria

A real find - moments from Paddington.

Good Beer Guide 2020.

Corner location gives a curved room interior - beautifully ornate Victorian Pub. There is more room upstairs, but I didn't venture that far.

Fullers house - ESB wasn't on but a beautiful looking London Pride was available.

Well looked after by the staff, in this post Covid lock down world.

Recommended.

On 24th August 2020 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The Victoria (15)
This pub features in the following crawls:
London's Beautiful Pubs by Will Larter
External web links for The Victoria

Map location corrected by Will Larter
London Paddington, 0.5 miles, 9 min walk (show)
London Marylebone, 0.87 miles, 16 min walk (show)
London Victoria, 1.94 miles, 37 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Victoria, W2
4th Oct 2021, 12:27
Pub added to pub crawl (London's Beautiful Pubs) by Will Larter

4th Oct 2021, 11:52
Review submitted by Will Larter amended by Will Larter

• Accommodation : No last updated 30 November 2018 by Quinno _
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 30 November 2018 by Quinno _
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 04 October 2021 by ROB Camra
  • Beer Garden : Yes - Limited outside front seating - last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
  • CAMRA Discount : Yes - 15% - last updated 04 October 2021 by ROB Camra
  • Car Park : No last updated 30 November 2018 by Quinno _
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 30 November 2018 by Quinno _
  • Dog Friendly : Yes - Ground floor only - last updated 04 October 2021 by ROB Camra
  • Function Room : Yes last updated 30 November 2018 by Quinno _