Random news of the day with Spinko on the Pub Forum

45 Shore
Edinburgh
EH6 6QU

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Malt & Hops

Very traditional-looking pub by the quayside, with a dark interior enlivened by plenty of breweriana and a very welcome real fire on a cold winter day. With seven of eight handpumps on the counter in use, we found an excellent range of real ales in different styles, mostly from smaller breweries from the Lake District and more locally. Hard to choose, but I went for the Goodhews Dry Stout (£4.50) which was first rate. Also had various interesting options on the keg taps, and mulled cider also offered during the festive season.

On 30th December 2021 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about Malt & Hops

Waterside ale pub with views across the dock. Interior is a straightforward but characterful room with a small snug area in the far right corner. Dark varnished wood from top to bottom, loads of breweriana, mirrors, hanging hop bines, some bottle green banquette seating and what looked like a proper coal fire. Eight pumps with beers from Hadrian (Tyneside Blonde an NBSS 4), Saltaire, Tryst, Fyne (Lismore, 3). Two by Two and Clearwater. Very quiet inside on a midweek afternoon and the barman didn’t really do much to create an atmosphere, fiddling about on his phone. I suspect it’s a great evening pub though. Bit of a Leith default and the location means it’s worth getting the bus out of the centre for.

On 15th November 2021 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about Malt & Hops

A traditional-looking bar, just a few doors down from the pseudery of the Kings Wark, but it wouldn't surprise me to discover that the other pub is the more authentic of the two. Never mind, because this one works far better as a pub, to whit: eight hand pumps adorn the bar, the beers are from independent Scottish breweries like Swannay, Fyne, Tryst and Hadrian & Border (oops, Sassenachs and interlopers), with lager from the sainted Williams Brothers of Alloa, whom god preserve. I was regretting having wasted half of my allotted time in Leith at the other pub, but I'm sure Malt & Hops will still be here on my next visit, which will definitely be longer.

Date of visit: 19th March 2017

On 19th June 2017 - rating: 8

hondo . left this review about Malt & Hops

Traditional pub serving 8 real ales and "craft keg".

On 9th December 2013 - no rating submitted

Clive Thompson left this review about Malt & Hops

After making my way along from Ship to Shore and surrounding bars I had almost given up on finding a proper pub and was beginning to dread what might have happened to the Malt & Hops as a consequence of the new money that has moved into Leith. I need not have feared though, as in the the realms of proper pubs this is a King among paupers, and the sight of eight handpumps cheered me up no end. It's thankfully much as I remembered it from a few years ago. The 'library' is still there with its back catalogue of GBG's, there are pump clips on the walls, water jugs on the ceiling and the whole bar is festooned with hops interspersed with fairy lights. Atop the fireplace is a large oil painting that I recall my Kiwi mate insisting was Italian, probably a Canaletto, until I pointed out the Lothian bus making its way across the 'Ponte Vecchio' and that it was in fact a painting of the scene outside the pub. Two old copper lanterns still sit in the windows and an old sign announces that 'Motor Buses stop here 6, 9 and 34'. I'm not sure if the numbers are the same but most buses going to Ocean Terminal stop outside and you could do worse than stopping off for a pint in this wonderful unspoilt pub.

On 16th January 2010 - rating: 10

ROB Camra left this review about Malt & Hops

Marvellous little pub dating from 1749. A real survivor as it is surrouding by all the new developments in Leith. It's one small room with lots of very old pump clips decorating the walls plus brewery mirrors. It's not particularly tourist friendly, but once you've had a couple of rounds and the locals realise that you're not going to constantly witter on about Edinburgh Castle they can be quite friendly. I used to call in here when I worked and lived in Edinburgh and it hasn't changed that much. There's a much better range of ales on the bar though with Deuchars IPA as a regular and 4 changing guests on our visit. There's a very good range of malt whiskys on offer as well with the "Malt Of The Month", on our visit Isle Of Jura, being very good value. Ms CAMRA was very pleased as it's one of her favourites.

On 17th November 2009 - rating: 9