Bottled Beer Bargain Alert with rpadam on the Pub Forum

S3 7QL

Page: 1 2 3

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about Bath Hotel

This old unspoilt two room pub has been more than well described below. I got here early on a Friday lunchtime when the six beers were as listed below. I went for the Thornbridge Chiron (£3.60) about which I had doubts over the quality although it was nowhere near the sending it back stage. I then went for the keg Jaipur (£4.40) which again was OK but I've had better. It might have been the recent hot weather at the time but I also noticed that one of the casks was quite cloudy. It's an excellent old pub but for me there was a question mark over beer quality.

On 18th September 2019 - rating: 7

Tris C left this review about Bath Hotel

A Grade II-listed pub built in 1867 but with a CAMRA Nationally Important Historic Interior, remodelled by Ind Coope in 1931, this is a fine flat-ended wedge-shaped pub with the name picked out in leaded lights to the ground floor windows and is well described below. It's also a Thornbridge pub, so no surprises in store for the London contingent on our crawl, which meant that I wasn't going to make the twin mistakes of ordering Astryd which I'd tried a couple of days earlier and found it not to my taste, not to mention the dreadful Wye; my half of Lord Marples was fine and tasted all the better for costing just £1.60.
Definitely one to include on a crawl of the city.

On 17th July 2019 - rating: 8

Steve of N21 left this review about Bath Hotel

Another of Sheffield’s fine heritage pubs which is listed in CAMRA’s National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors. We entered from Victoria Street into, and stayed for the duration, in the tiled floor main bar with its leaded windows and bar with glass screenwork above, but I did venture along the back corridor with its still in place tiling and drinking shelf to take a look at the smaller more comfortable snug on the other side of the servery, which was the former smoke room after Ind Coopes 1931 remodelling.
The six ales available were as described below and I went for the Thornbridge Astryd which was very good especially also for a Londoner at a very wallet pleasing £3.10 a pint.
Deservedly one of Sheffield’s top pubs

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 8

Bucking Fastard left this review about Bath Hotel

A wedge shaped building with a very impressive interior,beautifully preserved and worthy of close inspection.It's quite small and you enter into the tap room with the bar front tiled in brown.There is then a glazed tiled drinking corridor with bar access before arriving at the rear snug,also with bar access.
With it's association with Thornbridge brewery,you will always find some of their beers on in here,on my trip that meant Astryd,Lord Marples and a very good Chiron,while the selection was completed by Nightjar Born Slippy,Great Heck Navigator and Dead Parrott Norwegian Blue.That's a very decent line up and with such a calm drinking atmosphere my next trip will be much longer than this brief crawl visit.

On 13th July 2019 - rating: 9
[User has posted 2087 recommendations about 2087 pubs]

Gill Smith left this review about Bath Hotel

Called in to show a friend from Texas a good inventory pub. It has been well described below, and we enjoyed Neepsend Brew Co NPA and a Thornbridge Keg beer Colorado Red.

On 3rd August 2015 - rating: 8

John Bonser left this review about Bath Hotel

This is a traditional wedge shaped pub on a road junction just off West Street and close to the University.

It features two interconnecting bars, a lounge bar with a tiled floor, leaded windows and a bar servery with glass screenwork above, and a smaller more comfortable snug.

The pub is listed in CAMRA’s National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors

On the wall by the bar servery is an interesting account of the pub’s history, from which we learn that it was once a grocers shop. Previous owners, after the building became a pub, included Ind Coope and Tetleys.

It is pleasing that a pub like this, so close to the University and student areas has largely retained its unspoilt and old fashioned air.

Thornbridge Brewery have now taken over the running of this pub and, although the branding is relatively discreet, we do see the Thornbridge logo outside together with their mantra “ Innovation, Passion, Knowledge”

There’s 6 handpumps inside, of which, on my recent Monday lunchtime visit, 3 were for Thornbridge beers – Kipling, Wild Swan and Sequia – and 3 guest beers, which were one from Summer Wine Brewery ( Diablo IPA ) and 2 from Stringers in Lakeland. Detailed tasting notes are provided on a blackboard by the bar counter, from which we also learn that it will be the pub’s policy to offer an approximate 50:50 split of the beer range between Thornbridge beers and other guests, which was certainly the case on my Monday visit. My pint of Wild Swan - £ 2.60p – was less distinctive than I’ve previously had elsewhere ( eg Sheffield Tap ) , but I’ll put this down as a one off

The pub was very quiet on my visit – I was virtually the only person in during most of my shortish stay - perhaps, because, there was no evidence of any food offered, unlike on my earlier visit under the previous management, when, if I recollect correctly, there was a basic selection of toasties, paninis, pork pies etc available.

This pub is worth seeking out when in the University area of the city

On 13th May 2014 - rating: 8

Danny O'Revey left this review about Bath Hotel

Basic wedge slaped bar on a street corner. There is a nice tiled frontage but the rooms have been filled out a little functionally rather tahn traditionally.

Its ok, a beer drinkers local type bar.

5 real ales, well kept

On 17th December 2013 - rating: 6

Real Ale Ray left this review about Bath Hotel

This traditional Victorian pub is well worth a visit. You will always see a good range of Thornbridge ales here as Thornbridge Brewery own this pub. Five Thornbridge ales on handpump on our visit, plus two guests. The pub consists of one large room, bar and a snug. Some original highly glazed Victorian tiles in the passage. Friendly and chatty staff, no music. I went for the Thornbridge Wild Swan and Whim Old Izaak.

On 21st April 2013 - rating: 8

Pub SignMan left this review about Bath Hotel

This is a lovely, traditional street corner pub which has retained its layout from the interwar period. Originally opened as a hotel due to problems getting a licence, the place was eventually taken over by the Ind Coope brewery, whose 1931 refit forms the basis for the pub as it is today. A more recent refurbishment in 2001 was sensitively carried out and restored a number of original features, winning the English Heritage Pub Design Award 2003 as a result. The main bar has a diamond patterned tile floor and a fine glazed brick servery. Wooden backed padded banquettes run around most of the room, complimented by some low stools, whilst some old pictures and a large Ind Coope mirror line the walls. A corridor runs down the back of the pub with a small drinking ledge and pleasing tiling throughout as well as a hatch giving access to the servery. Following the corridor, you eventually reach a snug set into the narrow part of this wedge shaped pub. The room has some original fixed seating and was being used by a chess society on my visit, which limited my chances to snoop around. Music played quietly throughout my stay, but the buzz of conversation was more prominent.
The pub is currently tied to the Thornbridge Brewery and three of their ales were available in the shape of Brother Rabbit, Halcyon and Juvenia. Three other hand pumps offered guest ales which were Saltaire Pride and Stateside IPA (£3.50), with Dark Star Espresso having recently gone off. The Stateside IPA was pretty good, although not my favourite beer from that particular brewery.
This is an excellent, atmospheric pub that is well worth a look for the interior alone. I was pleased to see some interesting guest ales available and would rank this as one of the best pubs at this end of the city centre.

On 21st March 2013 - rating: 8

paulof horsham left this review about Bath Hotel

Popped in to the Bath Hotel and can confirm Thornbridge beer occupies 3 or so of the pumps, with Dark Star also getting a look-in on our visit. Pretty quiet in mid-afternoon: just us, the bar-maid and local walking wounded who seem to regard the pub as some sort of alternative to hospital. Hopefully the evening sees more drinkers (and rather fewer cuts & bruises).

The room we occupied was tiled in a classy black & white pattern, but we didn't explore too much further. Pretty good - I'd call again.

On 26th December 2012 - rating: 7