Pub Of The Month - July 2020 with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Rex Rattus
Submitted on Tuesday, 22nd May 2018
View all this pub's pictures (1 more image)

The Rebel Inn, Streatham Hill, SW16

Pub added by Rex Rattus
78A Streatham High Road
SW16
SW16 1BS
Phone: 02086969469

Reviews of The Rebel Inn (Average Rating: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Rebel Inn

There were four handpumps in a bank on the bar, but only one in operation dishing out Monty Python's Flying Circus by Black Sheep (4.5% and £2 a half). They use sparklers here, but just in time I noticed the barmaid fiddling with it - tightening it up I think - and asked her to remove it, which she did although she seemed a little surprised by my request. I didn't see any sign of food on my midweek mid-afternoon visit.

This is quite an interesting, if modern, pub. Much of the floor near the bar is tiled panels, the rest being bare-boarded. Furnishings are almost entirel normal tables and chairs with just a couple of tall tables/tall stools. There are newspapers in a rack; board games on shelves; two table football games at the back; a dartboard on the right; and some model aeroplanes - notably including the iconic Concorde - hanging from the ceiling. Unusual enough, but on one wall I spotted some Asian masks (Indian and/or Thai I think), and in one of the front windows was a fish tank and in another some plants - including tomatoes - were being grown. I think it's the first time that I've seen a mini nursery (other than with kids involved!) in a pub. There's also a small stage on the right.

This is quite a good pub now, and my MPFC was in good shape. But do watch out for the sparklers. I've given it a six for the eclectic nature of the place; a more varied ale selection would have warranted a higher score.

On 26th May 2018 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about Taylors

A sign says it opens at 12 noon, but it hadn't opened when I walked past at 12.05 PM on Monday. Real ale is advertised, but I didn't get in to check what was available.

On 22nd February 2012 - no rating submitted

External web links for The Rebel Inn

Map location corrected by Rex Rattus
Streatham Hill, 0.22 miles, 4 min walk (show)
Streatham, 0.72 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Tulse Hill, 1.26 miles, 24 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Rebel Inn, SW16