How Will Pubs Open? with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

SW16 1BS
Phone: 02086969469

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Rebel Inn

There were four handpumps in a bank on the bar, but only one in operation dishing out Monty Python's Flying Circus by Black Sheep (4.5% and £2 a half). They use sparklers here, but just in time I noticed the barmaid fiddling with it - tightening it up I think - and asked her to remove it, which she did although she seemed a little surprised by my request. I didn't see any sign of food on my midweek mid-afternoon visit.

This is quite an interesting, if modern, pub. Much of the floor near the bar is tiled panels, the rest being bare-boarded. Furnishings are almost entirel normal tables and chairs with just a couple of tall tables/tall stools. There are newspapers in a rack; board games on shelves; two table football games at the back; a dartboard on the right; and some model aeroplanes - notably including the iconic Concorde - hanging from the ceiling. Unusual enough, but on one wall I spotted some Asian masks (Indian and/or Thai I think), and in one of the front windows was a fish tank and in another some plants - including tomatoes - were being grown. I think it's the first time that I've seen a mini nursery (other than with kids involved!) in a pub. There's also a small stage on the right.

This is quite a good pub now, and my MPFC was in good shape. But do watch out for the sparklers. I've given it a six for the eclectic nature of the place; a more varied ale selection would have warranted a higher score.

On 26th May 2018 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about Taylors

A sign says it opens at 12 noon, but it hadn't opened when I walked past at 12.05 PM on Monday. Real ale is advertised, but I didn't get in to check what was available.

On 22nd February 2012 - no rating submitted