Yet another list with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

DE1 2RU

Page: 1 2 3

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 9 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Brunswick Inn

As a previous reviewer has said, this one "gets a super rare 10/10", and I concur. With only a short walk from the station and trains to Sheffield being so frequent, this has been a frequent stop for me over the years. I take others' word for it that there are 16 hand pumps now; a stupendous number, anyway, and always in tip top condition. A choice of several different seating areas, though if Derby County are at home there's precious little chance of a seat at all. This pub is the gem of the railway village conservation area, and it's a sobering thought that not so long ago it was derelict and looking like being demolished. So many beers to choose from: on two recent visits I had their own Brunswick Black Sabbath 6%, Aldwark Arrow Amber 4.1% and then Brunswick Black Sabbath 6% again four days later. A must visit if in the area - if not planning to be in the area, get off your train when it pauses at Derby, get another one an hour later. You won't be sorry.

On 14th December 2018 - rating: 10

Ian Mapp left this review about The Brunswick Inn

Orwell had the Moon Under the Water and I think this would be mine.

Had the whole of the family parlour to myself. Other rooms available.

Brewery at the end - so plenty of their own ales, plus everards. I played safer with a good Timothy Taylor Landlord.

Suberb. Must visit if in the area.

Vist blogged at http://bit.ly/2w1lOlC

On 20th August 2018 - rating: 10

Alex Conway left this review about The Brunswick Inn

The Brunswick Is a long redbrick pub near Derby station that was salvaged from demolition and has been a fantastic award winning pub ever since. Wining the Derby Pub of the Year for the last two years running when there is so much good competition really says a lot. Before I went I knew it was going to be good but did not expect it to be this good, It ticked EVER single box imaginable. The bar that serves from two sides had 16 beers on and I managed no note the regular beers from the brewery that were Brunswick Brewery’s Black Sabbath (£3.20), Rocket (£2.90), Railway porter (£2.80) Triple Hop (£2.60) and White Feather(£3.50) as well as owners Everards own beers Tiger (£3.10), and Beacon (£2.90) and regular Beer landlord (£3.40). Some of the guests I noted were Stancills Balck Gold, Revolutions brewery treasure ruby ale and English IPA. As well as many more I failed to note.
Aside from having its own working brewery selling super competitively priced beers it has fantastic seating areas and snugs all in an old world style and two separate sun trap seating areas alongside a fantastic quality hearty food menu. All the decor is in a traditional style and the bar man was super friendly and vastly knowledgeable about all the beer that were obviously kept in super condition and offered me the opportunity of a sparkler when I mentioned I peppered things that way (as Derby on a whole seems to have a big objection to them). I really cannot fault this place in the slightest as there was not a single thing happening in any aspect of the pub that I don’t like, everything was by the book perfect. I would o as far as to say this is the best pub out of all those in both Nottingham and Derby combined which is tough coming from Nottingham but I really think this is a grade A gem! Any bypass of Derby station will forever now mean a stop off at the Brunswick. The Alexandra while being a cracking ale pub dwindles in comparison to this place. I gets a super rare 10/10 and is unquestionably worthy of a visit.

On 14th November 2017 - rating: 10

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Brunswick Inn

First re-visit for six years, and thankfully it didn't disappoint. Splendid choice of six of its own real ales plus ten interesting guests (e.g. Acorn Old Moor Porter, £1.50, half) from the 16 handpumps. Also has 16 ciders and perries on taps so you can see why it's the local Camra cider pub of the year. Anyway, this is everything a town pub should be (with a bit more, i.e. the brewery). History, character, atmosphere, and excellent beer. Remains a 'must visit'.

On 21st November 2015 - rating: 9

Quinno _ left this review about The Brunswick Inn

No change here, which is excellent news. Went through most of the house beers during my two visits in a day (start and end of a crawl, natch) and they were all in excellent shape, with a variety of styles and strengths. Also real ciders spotted – 16 pumps in total. The barman could have tried to be a little more engaging (seems to be a theme in other reviews elsewhere) which stops it getting a deserved 10. Still a great boozer though.

September 2010
The row of buildings where the pub now sits were rescued from demolition in the mid-80’s (check out the history boards inside the pub) this is now an alehouse with its own microbrewery. Larger inside than the outside might suggest, there’s a traditional multi-roomed interior with a particularly atmospheric feel on my visit. Décor includes carved dark wood panelling, open fire, railway-themed wall prints, pics of old Derby and flagstone flooring. There’s a glass door to the brewery, allowing a decent glimpse at the inner workings within. There’s a dart board but I’m not sure if it gets used. I counted ten ales available on my midday visit - a number from the on-site brewery, plus Everards (who own and lease the building) and guests. The quality of the three I tried was good. Decent value cobs available from the bar to keep you on top of the beer. Functional garden/yard area located to the rear. I really liked it here and it’s a must if you’re in Derby or have a gap between trains as it’s only a few minutes from the station. In a city full of great beer and pubs, this one is a stand-out. Rated 9

On 20th November 2015 - rating: 9

Al Bundy left this review about The Brunswick Inn

16 cask ales? Excellent. Needless to say if you're in Derby its a must. And right by the station too.

On 6th August 2015 - rating: 10

ROB Camra left this review about The Brunswick Inn

Called in loads of times since my last review, the last time being Friday evening. A couple more excellent pints in a great atmosphere as usual.

This pub isn't in the GBG2015 which is total madness from the local CAMRA branch.

13/07/2010
I have to agree with Roger, this is probably my favourite pub in Derby, but it's close. Paid two visits over last weekend. One early Friday night and again late on Saturday. Be aware that last orders here are at 11 even at weekends. Over the two visits I had Brunswicks own Back O The Net, Rhymney Hobby Horse, Oakhamn Inferno, RCH Steam Special, Leatherbritches Dr Johnson & Goldings. All were excellent. The landlord and landlady were sat down having a chat with the regulars and some of us visitors as we were sat next to them. The usual bollix being talked, exactly as it should be :-)) It's a fine pub is this one. If you come here for a quick one whilst waiting for your train, you'll miss it!

On 14th July 2015 - rating: 10

Alan Winfield left this review about The Brunswick Inn

The Brunswick Inn was originally a Kimberley tied house that closed down in the early 70s,it lay derilict for several years,it finally reopened in 1987 after the pub and railway cottages next door to it were done up.
Once inside there is a small room to the right in the apex of the building,this room is for families,i have taken my son into this room on many occasions,the main bar room is to the rear left,there are a couple of smaller rooms which face the serving bar.
There is always a good choice of real ales on the bar,i always have a Brunswick brewed beer,on my most recent visit i had a drink of Triple Hop which went down well as it always does,i also drink the Usual in this pub quite often.
On my latest vist i did'nt note all beers,the ones i did note were Brunswick Triple Hop /The Usual /Railway Porter,Everards Tiger /Beacon and White Feather Rocket.
If i have time i always drink in this pub after getting off the train at Derby.
This is a pub i have visited too many times to mention and will continue to visit it.

Pub first visited 10/10/1987

Recent visit 12/7/2014

On 25th August 2014 - rating: 9

Aqualung . left this review about The Brunswick Inn

I've been here a few times in the past and was concerned that it is no longer GBG (2014) listed. The Everard's ownership is no problem as I'm fairly sure that they had taken it over last time I came here.
It all looked and felt exactly as I remembered it but on an early Saturday evening was not all that busy.
I was feeling quite tired by the time I got here so only noted the beers tried. These were Brunswick Railway Porter (£2.85) and Everard's Original (£3.20) both in perfect condition. Everard's is one of the regional brewers that I still have faith in although I've never rated their Tiger Bitter. They deserve a lot of credit for keeping this place going as a brewpub.

On 21st July 2014 - rating: 9

Pub SignMan left this review about The Brunswick Inn

Built originally back in the 1840's as part of a railway village for those working on the North Midland Railway and in the adjacent station, this attractive Grade II listed building now houses arguably the city's most iconic pub. The place has an unusual relationship with three breweries, seemingly being owned by Everards, managed by Brampton and housing the Brunswick Brewing Company, so it's no surprise to learn that this is a top destination pub for real ale fans. My visit on a Saturday evening happened to coincide with the National Winter Ales Festival in the nearby Roundhouse, so the pub was packed to bursting with ale fans, making it virtually impossible to figure out exactly what was on the bar and almost as difficult to fully explore this interesting building. There are apparently sixteen hand pumps to choose from, but I considered myself lucky to be able to see eight of them, which were dispensing Brampton Golden Bud, Best and Bock Daniels, Moles Gold, Taylor Landlord, Burton Bridge Festival Ale and Raw Grey Ghost IPA, with one turned clip. I assume there were some Brunswick Brewery beers somewhere along the lengthy bar counter and it's worth noting that eight ciders were listed on a board as well. I gave the Grey Ghost IPA a try and thought it was a cracking pint.
The pub is laid out around a long central corridor that forms the spine of the building. The bar area is in the mid section, with flagstone flooring and a decorative patterned wall below dado level. A seating area opens out to the left of the servery - one of many available throughout the pub and seemingly the most popular on this particular evening. There is another one opposite the bar in a separate room, also with a flagstone floor and with mostly standard table and chair arrangements. Décor includes a fair few old black and white photos and a rather incongruous dartboard. Another room is located near the front door, where the building tapers to a wedge shape. The room is signed as the 'Family Parloure' and offers banquette, low stool and button backed chair seating options. This room plays on the pub's ties to the railway, displaying various items of rail memorabilia as well as a modern pub mirror. Just outside this room is a staircase, which may lead to additional rooms but I didn't have the time to explore. The walls here are lined with brewerania including some nice brewery posters and mirrors. At the opposite end of the pub, there is one final room - a small carpeted lounge with banquette seating arranged into a semi partitioned formation. At the far end of the corridor, which displays some nice framed items detailing local history, the in house brewery can be glimpsed through a final doorway.
This is clearly a destination pub for ale fans as well as those who appreciate interesting, historic pub interiors. I feel I timed my long anticipated visit rather poorly, having struggled to get a good look around the place, but its popularity is clearly down to a lot more than it's convenient location and I will be sure to call again the next time I'm in Derby.

On 3rd March 2014 - rating: 8