Disappointment of the week with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

EC1
EC1M 5UQ

Page: 1 2 3

hondo . left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

Tucked away on a side street. Quite a small dark basic interior serving 6 real ales and food. Art on the walls for sale.

On 26th October 2018 - no rating submitted

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

ORIGINAL REVIEW August 2015
A very clever recreation of an ale house,the interior is small but has discrete areas ,with seats in both bay windows,a small rear room and a one table garret up some creaking steps opposite the bar.It gets very busy after work on a Friday but in good weather punters spill out onto the pavement and by 7pm with the throng dying down it is usually possible to nab a table inside.The service is always very friendly and efficient and copes well at busy times although if you are drinking outside you will receive a plastic mug.
There are six wall mounted taps using air pressure to dispense St Peters real ale which on my visit meant Honey Porter,Cream Stout,Fruit (grapefruit),Red Ruby ,Organic Bitter and Organic Best Bitter.If an ale runs out ,it will be replaced by something different from their range while there is always a huge choice of their bottled beers and some very decent single malts.All ales are served southern style,and everything the crew sampled was fresh and interesting.
In the evening there is a short menu of bar snacks at £6 each , the perfect accompanyment to an ale session.Ale pricing around £3.60 also seemed good value for the area.
This place has a real pubby atmosphere,it's aimed at quaffers and I always have a good time here.It deserves it's 2016 GBG listing and really should not be missed when in the area,but beware of the weekend closure.

UPDATE
A revisit was a major disappointment in terms of ale quality.The selection was from the low ABV brews with nothing above 4.5 % .The condition of my Orange Blaze and Golden was suspect and both were cloudy.In desperation we turned to the bottled versions of beers that were once regularly on tap ,but the Grapefruit (normally a solid session beer) tasted of very little with only faint grapefruit at the finish.This was the Friday evening session before a bank holiday weekend closure but the pub was suspiciously quiet and maybe the word of poor beer has got around.However pleasing an interior,it's off the list for a revisit on this form.

On 28th August 2016 - rating: 6
[User has posted 2015 recommendations about 2015 pubs]

Tris C left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

This is indeed a very clever conceit: an early 18th century building converted into a pub in 1996! I came here once about 7 years ago so we decided it was time for another visit and I don't think that anything has changed. Absolutely packed on our midweek visit, so much so that the crowd was not just spilling out onto the pavement, but also the pavement opposite.

We decided that due to the throng we would opt for halves and not stay long. I was the only person at the bar yet despite this, the barman had more interest in chatting to some women. Eventually he realised that there was life outside his bubble and offered me a moment of his precious time. He placed the glass on the bar in front of me and looked at me blankly for about 20 seconds. I finally asked him if he could actually tell me how much it cost so that I could pay and he informed me that it was £1.75 a half, which is very good value for the area indeed. However, the gormless idiot couldn't be bothered to give me my change so my two £1 coins disappeared into the till: I couldn't be bothered to complain.

This is a nice pub and the beer was excellent, but it's best visited early in the week or during the day and ideally once Forest Gump has moved on. Closed at weekends.

On 15th April 2016 - rating: 5

Quinno _ left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

Numerous revisits always find five St Peters on stillage (or is it top pressure…?), that often include a seasonal or special. Quality always good. Last visit, some Chilli and Garlic pitta chips plus my half came in at £2.80, not bad for EC1. Good service from the bar and there’s now free WiFi. Upped my mark to 9 as I always enjoy it here.

November 2011
Such a fantastic range (both bottled and stillaged) of St Peters ales that it's difficult to know where to start or end. Darks, Milds, Bitters, Fruit...it's all here. The charming but cramped dark green painted wood and tiled interior isn't as ‘olde worlde’ as it's made out to be – apparently it was erected during Britpop and it’s showing its age a bit, some basic maintenance is needed in places where paint has been scraped off the walls and tables are creaking. Service is usually friendly and efficient and prices are sensible. Food is available - there were quail scotch eggs for £1.30 a go during my last visit. It gets ludicrously packed on Thursday and Friday evenings just after work and most drinkers spill out into the street. I've yet to have any beer that doesn't pass muster in my half-a-dozen or so visits. Well-worth a stop for some unusual beer on a weekday afternoon (it doesn't open on weekends). An excellent choice, even if the cramped interior leaves a bit to be desired. Rated 8

On 18th April 2015 - rating: 9

john gray left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

Quite impressive olde worlde tavern until you realise it is only 20 years old then it just a dull themed pub selling St peters beers.lovely pint of Christmas ale 7.0

On 16th January 2015 - rating: 6

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

We went for the St Peters Best and Golden ales and I have to say, the quality was just as good as visiting their brewery near Bungay in Suffolk. The pub was moderately busy on our visit, which was good as this is a small pub. The interior was a tad knocked about, which adds an old English Inn feel to the place. Nice to to see a group of Italians downing the ale on our visit. Defo a must for any crawl, recommend early doors though.

On 9th January 2014 - rating: 8

Malden man left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

You would never believe that this place has only been a public house since the early 90s, it looks the real deal inside, the building itself is very old of course, but the pub fit out is relatively recent. Divided horizontally into three connecting areas, the front section is divided by a Georgian style glass screen and has four blue and white tiled insert panels depicting the four seasons. The middle section houses the bar, again a tiny area, easily filled at busy times. Curiously, opposite there is a small raised mezzanine area with minimal headroom, almost like a pulpit, accessed via a winding stair and with only room for one small table and two chairs.
Panelled walls, nicotine brown ceiling, the old style fit out really does convince. The rear room away from the bar has a fireplace and a stuffed fox in a glass case, as well as some artwork for sale, one of The Who for the princely sum of £300.
There is no TV or music in here, the calm feel is immediate although I suspect it may not be at busy times.
They serve only St Peter's Ales in the house as far as I know, the draught beers are served through false cask heads on the bar back, under top pressure I understand, so unlikely to feature in the GBG although I found my pint top notch. Today had Golden Ale, Fruit Beer, Mild and Green Hop (£3.75) plus ciders Upper House Farm Hereford Dry and Kingston Red Streak. The full range of St Peter's beers are available in bottles. Beer gift boxes are available. Two benches outside at the front have mini tables attached to hold glasses.
This is a cracking pub, in an area of great pubs, a must inclusion if crawling Clerkenwell.

On 21st October 2013 - rating: 8

Moby Duck left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

A consistently pleasing pub with a range of beers available you can't find anywhere around this neck of the woods,The St Peters ales cover most angles and make for an interesting drink.I settled for the St Peters Organic Ale on our brief visit, and it didn't disappoint ,Always worth a visit but beware,not open weekends like many of the fine pubs in this area.

On 16th August 2012 - rating: 8

Steve of N21 left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

One of my favourites in this part of Town and had to pop in again when in the area the other evening, although the busy after work period is not the best time to visit this small pub.
Well described by other reviewers so won’t repeat what’s gone before. Also the St Peters brewery is not one of my favourites and I’ve had a few not so good pints come out of the casks in the wall behind the bar over the years. But the excellent Dark Mild is usually reliably good , as it was again on this occasion.
But, even forgetting the beer, this is a pub you should visit if you haven’t before.

On 27th November 2011 - rating: 8

BobOs . left this review about The Jerusalem Tavern

The Jerusalem Tavern is like stepping back in time. We visited yesterday lunchtime and it was an oasis of tranquility in an otherwise hectic London. The small interior is split into various drinking rooms and at different levels; it is atmospherically dingy and maintains a feeling of antiquity in its wooden furniture that many would have condemned to the skip years ago. The Jerusalem is tied to the St Peter's Brewery of Bungay, Suffolk and has seven ales on stillage and a sixteen in bottles - alas, on our crawl we only had time for one pint and the porter was fantastic and very well priced. The welcome was warm, the ale well-kept and very reasonably priced. All in all a fantastic experience of a pub and well worth seeking out. 2009 Town Pub of the Year.

On 5th August 2011 - rating: 8