Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Nigel Sheppard
Submitted on Wednesday, 27th January 2010
With picture contributions to 113 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (17 more images)
Reviews of The Raven (Average Rating: 7½ of 10) see review guidelines
Real Ale Ray left this review about The Raven
A traditional pub with a narrow downstairs room and bar running along the back wall. The pub was quite busy on our visit, so we didn't venture to the upstairs room. Seven ales on handpump, so we went for the Flying Pig Brewery Birdman and their own ale Raven Gold, both were in excellent shape. The pub also offers an extensive range of pies and mash and a menu can be seen chalked up on a large blackboard near the bar. A lot of ale drinkers on our visit, which was a good sign.
On 23rd October 2016
- rating: 8
[User has posted 2074 recommendations about 2074 pubs]
Bucking Fastard left this review about The Raven
This Georgian building has a pleasing traditional feel to the ground floor bar ,well described by Blackthorn.I ventured upstairs where there is a charming restaurant with a double aspect from windows on two walls and it's own bar,serving a subset of whats available downstairs.It was proving very popular on my Saturday evening visit.
I came here on the strength of its GBG listing and the ale offering on my trip was Raven's Gold & Bitter (low strength,both brewed by Blindmans),Yeovil Summerset,Hook Norton Right Hook and Keystone VPA,a very boring heavy brown beer.There was a lot of cider on ,but for an ale drinker it felt like an unexciting range,so we sloped off after a pint,having enjoyed the interior rather more than the beer.
On 10th July 2016
- rating: 7
[User has posted 1467 recommendations about 1467 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Blackthorn _ left this review about The Raven
A pleasant pub tucked slightly away down a small side street, but only a stone’s throw from Bath’s premier shopping street, it’s well worth checking out and has won the local Camra branch’s Pub of the Year on a few occasions.
It consists of a single, long and narrow bar downstairs with wooden pews around the perimeter and I believe there is also further seating available upstairs. It had a traditional and cosy ambience with rough wooden boards on the floor and a mixture of salmon and cream paintwork on the walls, whilst the wood panelling on the lower part of the walls had been painted a pale blue. There was some exposed stone walling at the rear of the pub which looks as though it may perhaps at one time have been an old fire-place and a doorway. There was also an old bookcase and a number of unusual wooden etchings on the walls. A large chalkboard menu listed a selection of Pie Minister pies as well as a few lighter snacks.
Beers on this occasion were Raven and Raven’s Gold (brewed for them by Blindmans), Slaters Autumn Red, Durdle Door and Hop Project Simcoe. A board on the wall also listed Dorset Silver, although I did not spot this on the bar, and another board listed a further three that were “coming soon”. Ciders were also well represented with Moles West Country Gold, Sheppy’s and Dorset Orchards First Press. All in all, a great little pub and well worth seeking out.
On 18th September 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 1398 recommendations about 1352 pubs]
View more reviews of The Raven (15)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Official site of the Raven, contains menus, beer details and upcoming events - www.theravenofbath.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Beer Garden : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Car Park : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Dog Friendly : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Function Room : Yes - Upstairs bar. - last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
- Micropub : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pinball : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pool Table : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 27 January 2010 by hondo .
- Wheelchair Access : No last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- WiFi : Yes - Code on menu board to the right on entry. - last updated 19 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
Last inspected: December 2nd 2015