Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Jonathan Wilde
Submitted on Monday, 22nd October 2012
With picture contributions to 2709 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (8 more images)
Reviews of Hillgrove Porter Stores (Average Rating: 8 of 10) see review guidelines
Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Hillgrove Porter Stores
A splendid back-street alehouse, opened out to leave a 'L'-shaped bar with a further small seating area at one end. Traditional-looking interior with a mix of furniture and decor. Excellent choice of real ales and ciders from the 14 handpumps, including the? Blackberry Porter (£4.00).
On 27th December 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 3566 recommendations about 3566 pubs]
Blackthorn _ left this review about Hillgrove Porter Stores
A traditional, street corner pub in a slightly out of the way location, but well worth making the effort to track it down. It’s not somewhere you’re likely to stumble across by accident being in a quiet, residential street, but it is nonetheless only a short stroll from the vibrant Stokes Croft area.
Inside it’s consists of a single U-shape room with leaded stained glass windows and parquet wooden flooring. The paintwork was a mixture of cream and burgundy and there were a couple of old fire-places, although these were not in use on our visit. An old Chesterfield sofa was at the rear, but other than that the seating was mostly conventional tables and chairs. A DJ console was in one corner which was perhaps a bit unexpected, so presumably music features on occasions. The walls of the pub were liberally plastered with old beer mats and dried hops were hung around the ceiling. Lighting was provided my small standard lamps on all the window sills.
The menu offered a concise selection of dishes, just a couple of main courses for £8 or so along with a couple of charcuterie platters and a few tapas options. There were also some sausage rolls and a jar of pickled eggs on the bar counter.
Beer is clearly the major focus here, and there were no less than 14 hand pumps squeezed on to the small bar counter. A board next to the bar listed the current selection, which on a recent visit were Live Wire IPA and Infrared from Electric Brewing, Cheddar’s Totty Pot, Bristol Blonde and Bristol Best from Dawkins, Blood Moon and Pre-Prohibition IPA from Celt Experience, Tombstone Soma, Grifter IPA and five from Arbor Ales – Smokescreen, Chocolatia, Summit IPA, Double Dark Alliance and Penfold. Ciders meanwhile were Aspall’s Suffolk along with Devon Blush and Devon Traditional from Ashridge. An excellent and unusual selection and well worth a visit for any beer aficionado.
On 7th December 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 1261 recommendations about 1221 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
train man left this review about Hillgrove Porter Stores
Cheddar Ales Totty Pot Dark Porter, Goat's Leap IPA & Gorge Best, Three Castles Saxon Archer, Plain Ales Inspiration, Beartown Bearskinful, Goffs Camelot, Matthews Brassknocker (I have a note saying the pub owner, Mr Dawkins, also of Portcullis, took over that brewery?). Upper walls are decorated with old pumpclips, lounge area rear right has leather sofas (grrr), but not bad if you commandeer it in a group; bookcase, board games, a variety of brewery trays & other breweriana. Left to covered smoking arbor & picnic sets. Expensive, but the barmaid was very friendly & offered tasters of the beers.
On 22nd November 2009
- rating: 7
[User has posted 192 recommendations about 191 pubs]
View more reviews of Hillgrove Porter Stores (4)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Hillgrove Porter Stores page at the Dawkins site - www.dawkins-club.talktalk.net
- Official site of Dawkins Taverns - www.dawkins-taverns.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Beer Garden : Yes - Basic rear patio - last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- CAMRA Discount : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Car Park : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Darts : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 27 October 2013 by Quinno _
- Jukebox : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Live Music : Yes last updated 27 October 2013 by Quinno _
- Live TV Sports : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Micropub : No last updated 08 September 2015 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pinball : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pool Table : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 27 November 2006 by Will Larter
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- Wheelchair Access : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
- WiFi : No last updated 16 December 2013 by Jonathan Wilde
Last inspected: August 26th 2014