Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Graham Mason
Submitted on Saturday, 21st April 2012
With picture contributions to 11332 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (27 more images)
Reviews of The Crown (Average Rating: 6 of 10) see review guidelines
Tris C left this review about The Crown
As others have said, this place bears an uncanny resemblance to the Chequers up the road. Fairly typical in its Nicholson's format though much better maintained than my last visit at least 15 years ago. Given the number of tourists milling around the locale, it was surprisingly quiet.
Worth a visit for curiosity value, but as this is a central Oxford pub, it's a magnet for both tourists and students alike.
On 5th September 2016
- rating: 4
[User has posted 1007 recommendations about 999 pubs]
Steve of N21 left this review about The Crown
A good solid Nicholson chain establishment that, despite being on the busy Cornmarket Street, was not overrun with tourists. probably due to its location at the bottom of a courtyard entrance.
Internally plenty of the usual dark wood décor familiar with Nicholson’s establishments with wooden floors , tables and chairs and low dark beamed ceilings.
But it also benefits from having a very pleasant outside seating area in the courtyard area to the front.
It was the last pub of the day for me so although I can’t remember the details I remember that the beers available were fairly mainstream offerings from the Nicholson list but I do remember also going for the Red Squirrel Hopfest Pale which was a good way to finish the day.
On 15th August 2016
- rating: 7
[User has posted 1392 recommendations about 1350 pubs]
Real Ale Ray left this review about The Crown
A lot smaller in comparison to the Chequers, but still very similar in style and layout. In fact by coincidence, I went for a repeat of the same beer Red Squirrel Hopfest. The bar faces you as enter with a choice of six ales on this visit. The wallpapered seating area to the left looked very inviting, but being a hot day we opted for the outside. There was a raised decking area outside, which was already full with customers, so we finished here with some pleasant vertical drinking in the sun.
On 31st July 2016
- rating: 7
[User has posted 2005 recommendations about 2005 pubs]
View more reviews of The Crown (10)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- The Crown page at the Nicholsons site - www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Beer Garden : Yes - Courtyard - last updated 23 July 2016 by Bucking Fastard
- Car Park : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Darts : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Function Room : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 23 July 2016 by Bucking Fastard
- Jukebox : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Karaoke : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Live Music : Yes - Some Fridays - last updated 23 July 2016 by Bucking Fastard
- Micropub : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Pinball : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Pool Table : No last updated 23 July 2016 by Tris C
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
Last inspected: October 17th 2016