Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Thursday, 18th January 2007
With picture contributions to 18441 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (4 more images)
Reviews of Warwick Castle (Average Rating: 6½ of 10) see review guidelines
Ian Mapp left this review about Warwick Castle
Going through an exterior make over at the moment.... all scaffolded up.
Still open and interior as I remember it. All wood paneling, big Bass mirrors and an ornate fireplace.
Getting to the bar a challenge. Which is a good thing to say, as means its popular.
Trumans Swift was pretty average condition on latest visit.
Blogged visit at http://bit.ly/2oErY9B
On 28th April 2017
- rating: 7
[User has posted 181 recommendations about 180 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Tris C left this review about Warwick Castle
This pub is tucked away in a little street between the canal and Warwick Avenue and is about one minute's walk from the tube.
It's an attractive smallish place with two bars, 'etched' (actually self-adhesive plastic transfer) windows, wood panelling, a bare floor and fine fireplaces with real coal fires on chilly nights. Food is served but it's more 'posh' burgers than gastro; there's a quiz on Wednesdays. The Irish landlady is welcoming and the staff are friendly; service is very good. Decent music plays at an agreeable level. There's a TV which plays sport occasionally with the sound down, but thankfully it's not a focal feature of the pub. The lavatories are tiny, though there's little the pub can do about this. Clients are a very mixed bunch (this is a very wealthy area mixed with some local estates).
There are typically four ales on: GK's IPA, Truman's Zephyr and Sambrook's Wandle and a fourth on rotation - the beers here are always in good nick. In addition, there are craft beers on keg.
This is a very decent boozer indeed. However...some of the dross that can't stop swearing, and probably venture in here from the Eagle up the road, are occasionally in attendance; this is something of a family orientated pub. Worse though is the large presence of dogs. I really don't fancy being glassed in the face by someone who has tripped over a dog. Worse still, small dogs are more than welcome to curl up and go to sleep ON THE TABLES! WHERE FOOD IS SERVED!! It's for this reason that I'm deducting 4 points.
Nevertheless, dogs and occasional knuckle-draggers aside, this is a very decent place and makes for a great mini crawl with the Warrington, Prince Alfred and Bridge House just over the canal in W2. Just don't eat here or touch the wet puddle on your table...
On 22nd November 2015
- rating: 4
[User has posted 1014 recommendations about 1006 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Pub SignMan left this review about Warwick Castle
Tucked away down a pleasant little mews style side street, handy for both Warwick Avenue tube station and Little Venice, this is a smart, two room, Grade II listed pub. On approach you can't fail to miss the marvellous Victorian lamp with its huge elaborate bracket, and as you enter, you pass through an attractive lobby with a nice mosaic floor. You emerge into the right hand side of the pub with the servery along the left hand wall. There is a lot of nice dark wood in this room, notably on the bar counter and back, as well as the tongue and groove panels on the opposite wall. The front windows have some fine etched glass and a few nice stained panes, with a limited amount of seating underneath allowing you a closer look. Standard tables and chairs run down the right hand wall, passing a nice period fireplace and old pendulum clock as they go. A frieze runs around the top of the wall,s which have been decorated with a mix of old and more contemporary paintings plus the odd brewery mirror, whilst the ceiling is very decorative itself. A rear space, partly hidden behind a section of partitioning wall, has a couple more tables and modern wallpaper. To the left of the bar, there is a small lounge with limited seating around four or five tables in a compact, smart wood panelled room with a lovely, detailed fireplace. Music played unobtrusively throughout my stay and there was a good buzz from the locals who were in on my Sunday afternoon visit, despite many of them migrating out to the pavement at the front of the pub.
There were four ales available on this visit - Sambrooks Wandle, Sharps Doom Bar, Greene King IPA and Truman's Swift (£3.70). I gave the latter a try and thought it was a perfectly passable pint served up by a friendly barman who was very patient dealing with a dithering group of tourists.
I found this place very relaxing and spent longer than I'd intended supping my pint and reading my paper. It has a fine interior that perhaps gets overlooked when compared to some of Maida Vale's more ornate pubs, and offers good beer and a friendly welcome to boot. I'd certainly be happy to make a return visit.
On 9th October 2014
- rating: 7
[User has posted 1879 recommendations about 1879 pubs]
View more reviews of Warwick Castle (10)
A stroll around the heritage interiors of W9 by Steve of N21
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Official site of the Warwick Castle, includes menu and wine list - www.capitalpubcompany.com
- Randomness Guide to London - Warwick Castle entry
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Quinno _
- Beer Festivals : No last updated 22 September 2015 by Tris C
- Beer Garden : No last updated 09 October 2014 by Pub SignMan
- CAMRA Discount : No last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Car Park : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Quinno _
- Child Friendly : Yes last updated 18 August 2015 by Tris C
- Darts : No last updated 09 October 2014 by Pub SignMan
- Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 09 October 2014 by Pub SignMan
- Function Room : Yes last updated 23 October 2015 by Tris C
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Jukebox : No last updated 09 October 2014 by Pub SignMan
- Karaoke : No last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Live Music : Yes - Occasionally. - last updated 20 February 2017 by Tris C
- Live TV Sports : Yes - Selected events. - last updated 20 February 2017 by Tris C
- Micropub : No last updated 06 April 2015 by Tris C
- Pinball : No last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Pool Table : No last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Quiz Night : Yes - Wednesdays. - last updated 06 April 2015 by Tris C
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 07 October 2014 by Quinno _
- Real Cider : No last updated 09 October 2014 by Pub SignMan
- Wheelchair Access : No last updated 14 April 2015 by Tris C
- WiFi : Yes last updated 14 April 2015 by Tris C
Last inspected: May 22nd 2014