Beer of the Week (w/e 24th October 2021) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

Pub added by Will Larter
Ford Street
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE6 1NW

Reviews of Brinkburn Street Brewery (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Brainy Pool left this review about Brinkburn Street Brewery

A friendly place just off the canal. Downstairs tap room is where we sat, but another area called the ‘Big Pub’ is also available, plus some outdoor seating. excellent decor and the Hit The North was a very good pint. Order at the bar or on their app. I would happily call in again, it was better than the usual Ouseburn haunts this time around.

On 20th August 2021 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about Brinkburn Street Brewery

A very good vibe in here on our Wednesday night visit, their beers were excellent and very reasonably priced. The majority of the customers were here for a drink and if you fancy a bite to eat there was a kitchen area, which looked busy and bustling. The interior consisted of one central seating area and further seating was outside on decking. We tried a good few of their beers, but I found myself going back for the Quayside Blonde, a good 4% session ale. Eight cask ales on the menu on our visit, well worth a visit this one.

On 8th August 2021 - rating: 8

Will Larter left this review about Brinkburn Street Brewery

A cellar bar that is difficult to photograph favourably, and once down the stairs the medium sized space reminded me of somewhere. On reflection, it's got something of the look of student facilities, with a bar counter at one end, random low level seating in the middle and a hatch for delivering food opposite. I suppose the difference would be the waiter service for meals, but then it's a few decades since I was a student, so maybe not so much nowadays. We were warned that their card terminal was out of commission, which was distressing news to customers who entered just after we did, but my daughter and I are old fashioned types and had cash on us. At least, I did.

There was quite a lot of reproduction armour and helmets, which made an interesting display. I hope it's easy to fix, because I picked up a helmet by the nose guard, which immediately came off in my hand. (Sorry!) This seems quite a popular pub and I was interested to sample some beers from this new (to me, anyway) brewery.

The main bar counter features keg beers, with the hand pumps all ranked on a separate bar to the right almost as an afterthought. I'm (fairly) sure it's not intended to look that way, and I'm sure it didn't affect the way the beer tasted. (See photo for five of the eight hand pumps.) I went for the Byker Brown from their own brewery, which was not the best brown ale I've ever had. We both had our eyes on the House of the Rising Sun, a 10.2% imperial stout on keg, but decided to come back the next lunchtime rather than add to the Friday evening's imbibing. When we did, it was slightly disappointing, being cold, fizzy and sweet. And £3 for a third of a pint.

Date of visit: 16th November 2018

On 8th February 2019 - rating: 6

External web links for Brinkburn Street Brewery

Map location corrected by Will Larter
Manors, 1.01 miles, 19 min walk (show)
Newcastle, 1.47 miles, 28 min walk (show)
Heworth, 3.21 miles, 1 hr 1 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Brinkburn Street Brewery, Newcastle Upon Tyne
20th Aug 2021, 08:11