Yet another list with Pubsignman on the Pub Forum

Pub added by Real Ale Ray
17 Bakewell Road
Matlock
DE4 3AU

Reviews of The Tipsy Toad (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Tipsy Toad

A strangely impermanent-looking building perched at the side of the road on the main raod into - or, to be fair, out of - Matlock's vibrant town centre. It was surprisingly busy when I called in for an emergency pit stop after it turned out that my first two pubs of the day didn't see any point in opening before 3pm - on a Saturday, a bank holiday weekend, with warmer weather than normally seen at this time of year. Whatever.

This bar had more people sitting outside than in, soaking up the car exhaust fumes as if electric vehicles were going to replace them the next day (spoiler alert: they weren't). A couple of sixes of keg fonts were stacked on the bar, but some of the taps had extraneous items sitting on the drip trays, so I asked for something that didn't seem to be so encumbered, Staropramen Pravha. The server turned and poured it from a different tap, so it seems the whole group of six on the right hand side was out of action. As usual with a lager, the first sip dissipated my thirst and I struggled to finish off the other 250ml. Luckily the sight of Spurs being taken apart by Brighton was sufficient distraction to allow me to finish and depart, snapping a candid shot of the people sitting outside in the pollution as I went. I do hope I never need to return.

On 17th April 2022 - rating: 3

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Tipsy Toad

Modern bar, consisting of an L shaped room with a rustic timber clad bar, facing you on the right as you enter. The floor was tiled and large timber barrels and high stools make a seated area over on the left. I hadn't listed this bar on our crawl, until one of the locals alerted us to the Happy Hour in here, which is from 5 - 7 pm. They had three cask beers on stillage on our visit. The idea for Happy Hour, is that the bar person flicks a coin, heads or tails and if you guess it right, you get your drinks free. So the first toss of the coin, we got a pint of Abbeydale Moonshine and a half of Barlow Brewery Betty's Blonde free. On our second round of drinks, I lost, so had to pay up.

On 30th April 2017 - rating: 7

External web links for The Tipsy Toad

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Real Ale Ray
Matlock, 0.29 miles, 5 min walk (show)
Matlock Bath, 1.46 miles, 28 min walk (show)
Cromford, 2.37 miles, 45 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Tipsy Toad, Matlock