Beer of the Week (w/e 18th October 2020) with Spinko on the Pub Forum

The Little R'Ale House, Wellingborough

Ammo Room, Wellingborough Station, Midland Road
Wellingborough
NN8 1NQ

Reviews of The Little R'Ale House (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about The Little R'Ale House

My final stop on a day trip to Wellingborough was this small micropub adjacent to the northbound platform at the station.

This was undoubtedly the highlight of my trip to Wellingborough, but did have its downsides.

The picture posted here does give an indication as to its size. So, on a wet autumn afternoon, with several people already inside, there was no room for another.

As such, I was consigned to a bench under an awning overlooking the road. It kept me mainly dry, but my ciders were almost being filled up and diluted by the rainwater quicker than I could drink them. It did give me a taste of what winter drinking will be like later in the pandemic. However, it was also frustrating that others (locals) were arriving and could still be seated inside, as presumably they were known. I did notice that the owner only donned a facemask every time I wandered inside to get their attention!

Nevertheless, I was really impressed by the ale and cider range. The 3 ales were all fairly unusual - Potbelly Crazy Daze, Stockport West Coast IPA & Goff's Jester Mango. Apart from the Lilley's Lemon & Lime Cider, the other 3 real ciders were all new to me - Addington Garden Cider, Bad Boy Cloudy Rhubarb Cider & Simply Cider Laughton Belle. After trying those 3, I was all ready to jump on a train home.

A discount is offered for CAMRA members. With such an adventurous range and in spite of having to sit outside in the rain, which is more due to current regulations than anything else, I enjoyed my visit here and whilst I can't imagine having to change trains here, if I ever do get back to Wellingborough on the train, this will be my first (or last) stop.

On 1st October 2020 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Little R'Ale House

A Grade II listed building built in 1857 and known as the Ammo room, as it was used to store small explosive devices that were placed on the railway tracks to warn railway workers a train was approaching. There is also a picture near the front bar showing the 1898 railway disaster, where a platform trolley ran off the platform and derailed the Manchester Express.
We visited here on a Friday lunchtime and found eight alers from Nottingham enjoying the beer. The owner and his wife were friendly and chatty and make visitors very welcome. Their ales were served from stillage along the back of the bar. Three ales on our visit, Potbelly Pygmalion, Potbelly Beijing Black and Papworth Big Slur. I went for the Papworth, which was a 5% red ale, which I really got the taste for. The pub had railway memorabilia and a collection of model trains around the tops of the walls along shelving.

On 5th February 2019 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Little R'Ale House

New micro-pub housed in a small detached building on Platform 1 (known locally as the 'Ammo Room'). Very basic furniture and limited decor, with the focus being the twin-rack stillage partly behind the compact counter. Four real ales on gravity when I stopped by - Oldershaw Heavenly Blonde, XT Pacific Red, Abbeydale Baby Black Mass and White Park Oast House (£3.40).

On 12th February 2017 - rating: 7

External web links for The Little R'Ale House

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Kettering, 8.24 miles, 2 hr 39 min walk (show)
Northampton, 12.44 miles, 4 hr 0 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Little R'Ale House, Wellingborough

• Accommodation : No last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra
  • CAMRA Discount : Yes - 20p per pint - last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra
  • Car Park : Yes last updated 15 February 2019 by ROB Camra