Beer of the Week (w/e 13th October 2019) with Spinko on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Saturday, 11th March 2017
With picture contributions to 20730 other pubs
Notifications

Requested be closed with reason - Other: Closed, in administration (June 2019).

Pitt Cue, Bishopsgate, EC2

Pub added by john gray
1 The Avenue, Devonshire Square
EC2
EC2M 4YP

Reviews of Pitt Cue (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Pitt Cue

Modern bar / restaurant in one of the 18th-century former warehouses forming part of the Devonshire Square redevelopment, with its front door located up a short bi-directional staircase. Housed in one large room with quite a high ceiling, with the inevitable industrial ventilation and modern filament lighting. Most tables are laid up for dining, but there is some general seating around the counter in the front left corner. There is an open kitchen at the far end, but the main feature of interest - being the Alphabeta micro-brewery - lies behind this, with various brewing vessels visible. Two of their real ales - IPA and Whistle Pig Rye (£4.85) - were available from the four handpumps, and there were also two craft beers being dispensed from the four keg taps.

On 28th January 2018 - rating: 7

Pub SignMan left this review about Pitt Cue

Tucked away in Devonshire Square, just a short walk from Liverpool Street station, this is a decent sized restaurant and bar with its own in house microbrewery. You enter up a flight of stairs into a large open plan room with the bar tucked away in the front left corner and rows of high tables and uncomfortable stools opposite. Further back is the main dining area, partly screened from the rest of the bar, with an open kitchen to the rear. The brewing equipment is visible in the area behind the bar and boards above the servery list the various options available. The decor is pretty uninspiring, with elements of gastro pub, industrial decor and swanky modern restaurant competing with one another. There is also a small patio area at the bottom of the stairs outside the front of the bar, under some giant umbrellas, and that is where all of the other customers were sat on my mid-week visit.
Upon entering, I was greeted by a waiter before I could get to the bar, who assured me it was fine to just visit for a drink before steering me to a table, providing me with a drinks list and pointing out the ale options listed above the bar. I plumped for an IPA, which the waiter went and got for me and I sipped this undistinguished example of the style on my own whilst reading my paper. Having finished up, I had to then call someone over to pay and they produced a bill which, to my amazement, included a not insignificant contribution for table service, pushing the price of my pint well over the £5.00 mark.
Whilst this is probably quite a hip spot to come and enjoy some decent food with a passable pint of homebrew, it really didn’t work for me as somewhere to stop off for a drink and the cheek of adding 60p to my bill for table service was enough to ensure I won’t be back again.

On 21st August 2017 - rating: 4

custodian 42 left this review about Pitt Cue

Now this place wasn't bad at all. Decent enough beer and the staff were OK. I have taken a photo which I will upload once I can work out how.

On 30th August 2016 - rating: 7

View more reviews of Pitt Cue (4)
External web links for Pitt Cue

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
London Liverpool Street, 0.21 miles, 4 min walk (show)
London Fenchurch Street, 0.48 miles, 9 min walk (show)
Moorgate, 0.56 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Pitt Cue, EC2
10th Aug 2019, 22:28
Request to mark pub as closed by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

10th Aug 2019, 22:28
Request to mark pub as closed submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off, with included notes: Other: Closed, in administration (June 2019).

• Accommodation : No last updated 21 August 2017 by Pub SignMan