Beer of the Week (w/e 5th August 2018) with hondo on the Pub Forum

Pub added by Aqualung .
84 Goldstone Villas
Hove
BN3 3RU

Reviews of The Watchmakers Arms (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Tris C left this review about The Watchmakers Arms

This establishment opened in 2015 as Hove (and Brighton’s) first micropub: a shop conversion which was once a clock shop, hence the name, with a 100L microbrewery.
100 yards from the railway station, it’s a narrow place that goes back a fair bit, with a small bar at 90 degrees to the main room and stillage to the rear behind what appears to be a double-glazed uPVC door, no doubt to help with insulation. There are high tables and stools which maximises space, along with some upholstered aluminium kegs as low stools.
I didn’t clock the ales available, though I know that someone in our quartet did. I sampled two and they were very good indeed, especially my example from Brighton Bier.
A very good cheerful atmosphere and friendly and helpful staff are just some of the elements that make this is a great drinkers’ destination, but I need my Yard of Ale over the bar, shove ha’penny and a ploughman’s for creature comforts. That said, I’d definitely return if in the area but, tempus fugit, so it was time to get the train back to Brighton.

On 1st April 2018 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Watchmakers Arms

Thanks to our pal Will for navigating us from the Prince Albert in Brighton and getting us to this excellent micropub at near the end of our PG crawl. Another bonus was the train journey only took 6mins and cost £2 return.
As Cider Drinker mentions below the owners, a husband and wife team who we met on our visit, were very friendly and welcoming and spent a few minutes chatting to us even when the pub was busy. One of the main features I remember was the collection of watches displayed along the wall near the bar. Four ales on our visit, I went for a very decent pint of 360 degrees Pale APA.

On 31st March 2018 - rating: 9

Cider Drinker left this review about The Watchmakers Arms

I really like this pub, the staff/owners are very friendly and happy to aid in choice making. They have managed to retain some of the charm and character of the original horologists. I have to say this is my favorite micropub to date. A great selection of beers and ciders etc.

On 22nd March 2018 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The Watchmakers Arms (5)
External web links for The Watchmakers Arms

Map location corrected by hondo .
Pub location
Latest updates View all updates for The Watchmakers Arms, Hove
1st Apr 2018, 19:52
Review submitted by Tris C amended by Tris C

1st Apr 2018, 19:48
Review submitted by Tris C

• Accommodation : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 06 December 2015 by paulof horsham
  • Car Park : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 07 May 2015 by hondo .
  • Function Room : No last updated 06 December 2015 by paulof horsham
  • Hot Food : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Micropub : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Real Cider : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Aqualung .
Food Hygiene Rating