Random news of the day with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Wednesday, 7th December 2016

The King's Ditch, Tamworth Central, Tamworth

Pub added by aleand hearty
51 Lower Gungate
Tamworth
B79 7AS

Reviews of The King's Ditch (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about The King's Ditch

This micropub is something of a veteran having opened in early 2015. It's a small room as noted below and there is another room up some stairs where the second one is rather steep.
There is a bar counter but everything is served from the cold room. Four beers were available Green Duck Duck Blonde, Furnace Reprezent, Tollgate Ashby Pale and Magpie Cheery Raven. I went for the Duck Blonde (£3.30) which was OK but a bit lifeless. As the other three beers were all roughly the same strength I went for a Nottingham cider (£3.50) which I thought was slightly on the warm side despite coming from the cellar. Looking through their menu I noticed they stocked a few speciality gins which is fine but then discovered they also sell four rubbish mainstream spirits probably sourced from the local supermarket. For me this is as bad as them having a font with John Smith's Smooth Crap on the bar.
Overall I thought this one was a bit of a let down.

On 13th August 2018 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The King's Ditch

Decent micro-pub with six small tables and some basic bench seating on three sides. Decor based on brewery mirrors and hop bines, but also plenty of Camra awards for cider on one wall (with up to 16 available). Four real ales on gravity, poured in a rear room (with a CCTV feed so you can see all the action...), including Mount Hood Raw (£3.30) and beers from Nethergate, Scarborough and Slightly Foxed.

On 21st April 2018 - rating: 8

Alan Hurdle left this review about The King's Ditch

A very small room and very small low bar in the corner with no beer pumps on view. All the beer is drawn by gravity from the "cellar" in the room just behind the bar. You can see your pint being poured from the barrel on a large video screen on the bar room wall. I agree with Ray about the novel idea and about the bar staff.
When I first walked up to the small bar containing just a covered dish containing pies and sausage rolls, I thought that I had walked into a cafe or tea shop! A quick look round at the tables with pints of beer on them quickly reassured me. When the barmaid returned to tell me that my first choice had just ran out, I already knew and had selected another as I had watched the action on the screen. This and my next two choices were all in excellent condition.

On 8th April 2018 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The King's Ditch (5)
External web links for The King's Ditch

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Tamworth High Level, 0.37 miles, 7 min walk (show)
Tamworth, 0.37 miles, 7 min walk (show)
Wilnecote (Staffs), 2.14 miles, 41 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The King's Ditch, Tamworth
13th Aug 2018, 16:28
Review submitted by Aqualung .

21st Apr 2018, 10:38