Pubs Galore crawls 2020 with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Wednesday, 23rd May 2018

Sherlock's, Middlesbrough Central, Middlesbrough

Pub added by Old Boots
7 Baker Street
Middlesbrough
TS1 2LF

Reviews of Sherlock's (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Real Ale Ray left this review about Sherlock's

l enjoyed my visit here as my pint of Ossett Hop Rocket was outstanding, also the owner and a couple of locals at the bar were all friendly and chatty. Luckily for us on our Saturday afternoon visit the TV volume was low. I don't see the point of having a TV at all playing the music channels as this micro is good enough without. Who wants to listen to the miserable and whining Ed Sheerans and James Arthurs, I certainly don't, and if I heard Adele I'd walk out. Maybe it's to attract the younger crowd to the pub, but I didn't see any of the youth in here. This micro also had a good range of locally sourced pies and sausage rolls available on the bar.

On 29th July 2017 - rating: 8

Aqualung . left this review about Sherlock's

Once again this one has been more than well described below. Although my favourite of the five micropubs near here was the Infant Hercules this was the only one I returned to as I knew it was open until 23:00 and the toilets were not up a flight of stairs. On my first visit the two TVs were playing a countdown of Chart Hits, possibly for the benefit of the barmaid. The only act I had heard of was the ginger nut Ed Shearan. On the second visit there was no music and the TVs were off.
The three beers on here were Hanlon's Firefly, TAP Best Bitter and Bad Seed Azacca Pale. I went for the Azacca Pale. On my return the night after Dark Star Hophead had replaced it so I went for that. Both were the usual £3.00 a pint.
I have to say I preferred this one without the TVs on.

On 13th February 2017 - rating: 6

Pub SignMan left this review about Sherlock's

Located at Number 7, Baker Street (not 221B as the name might suggest!), Sherlock's is a very simple single room micro pub set in what looks like a converted residential property. This is easily the smallest of the three Baker Street micros, having a narrow, if rather deep, single room layout. There are dark wooden floorboards throughout whilst the walls are painted in lighter neutral shades with a few sections of weird looking wallpaper to the front. A row of regular tables and chairs run down one side of the room, whilst there is just enough space for a drinking ledge and some high stools along the opposite side. The room narrows even more when you reach the bar area, where the reasonable sized servery runs down the left hand wall with its dark wood counter and bare brick bar back. A few pump clips and other beer related items have been displayed around the room and almost inevitably there is a London Baker Street sign on one wall, but aside from that, the decor is fairly restrained. Unusually, there were a couple of TV's in the room, both showing the evening's programming from Channel 4, which seemed a bit pointless, as no-one was paying attention. Opposite the bar, a door opens out to a tiny walled garden that functions as a smoking area but doesn't have enough room for any seating.
The bar supports three handpulls which were dispensing Titanic Plum Porter, Ossett Mellow Yellow and Allendale American Brown Ale. I tried a pint of the latter, which was very good but it was impossible to settle down with, due to the fact that the place was absolutely packed and I had to keep shuffling around the room to get out of people's way. Keg options included Addlestone's cider, Sharps Pilsner and two Belgian beers.
It was a shame that this place was so busy that I had to knock back my pint quicker than I would've liked, as I thought this pub had a lot going for it. The beer was top quality, there was a great ambience with friendly staff and customers and I can imagine as the place beds in over time, it will become more characterful. A good example of the micro pub movement and a no brainer to include on a crawl around town.

On 6th December 2016 - rating: 8

View more reviews of Sherlock's (4)
External web links for Sherlock's

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Middlesbrough, 0.48 miles, 9 min walk (show)
James Cook University Hospital, 2.39 miles, 46 min walk (show)
Marton, 3.14 miles, 1 hr 0 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Sherlock's, Middlesbrough
25th May 2018, 18:44

25th May 2018, 18:44

• Accommodation : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 10 February 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 10 February 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Darts : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Function Room : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Hot Food : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Jukebox : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 03 May 2015 by hondo .
  • Micropub : Yes last updated 17 March 2015 by David McNally
  • Pinball : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Pool Table : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 03 May 2015 by hondo .
  • Real Cider : No last updated 06 December 2016 by Pub SignMan