Random news of the day with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

Market Place
Wirksworth
Postal town: Matlock
DE4 4ET

Reviews of Blacks Head (Average Rating: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Blacks Head

I hadn't planned on calling in here, as I was looking for the Feather Star micropub but I was unable to distinguish it from the other shops around Wirksworth's market place because it had just gone dark and every building was festooned in Christmas lights. As the Blacks Head had just opened I thought I would pop in for a half and ask directions. There are six hand pumps on the bar, with a cider and five Greene King beers available. (See photos.) My half of Kimberley Bitter was past its best, but the pub was pleasant enough, with a solid fuel stove for those cold winter evenings, and I was provided with directions to my next beer.

On 14th December 2018 - rating: 6

Rob Hunter left this review about The Blacks Head

Six hand pumps at the bar. At the time of my visit there was a house ale that claimed to be "specially selected" but offered no further clue as to what it may be. There were various Greene King offerings (as expected), three Hardy and Hansons beers (owned and brewed by Greene King - including Kimberley Bitter and Olde Trip), and a guest ale of Liquid Sunshine by St Austell.

I went for the Olde Trip before realising it was now a Greene King ale - as there was no mention of GK on the pump clip - and only realised afterwards. A pint set me back £3.45 and I found it a fairly nondescript bitter, when I realised it was Greene King it all made sense.

This is an old school pub and felt a bit "local" during my lunchtime visit, though it was not particularly busy.

The bogs (gents at least) looked like an outdoor area that had been brought under cover, with pebble dash and mould on the walls. Surprisingly enough they didn't smell bad though.

My notes from the time of my visit end with the closing line, "No reason at all to go back" and true to my word I didn't when I was back in Wirksworth today. That said, it looked closed anyway. There are definitely better pubs nearby but I am sure this one will appeal to some.

Date of visit: 14 September 2017.

On 25th October 2018 - rating: 5

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Blacks Head

Compact traditional pub, located up a few steps and overlooking the Market Square. Retains the distinctly un-politically correct former pub sign inside. Although a Greene King house, there was a good selection of five beers and a cider available on handpump, and five more on a stillage out front during the Wirksworth Festival weekend. Overall, the best of the town's pubs that I visited during my brief foray to the area.

On 7th September 2014 - rating: 7

External web links for Blacks Head

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Andy Ven
Cromford, 2.71 miles, 52 min walk (show)
Whatstandwell, 3.39 miles, 1 hr 5 min walk (show)
Matlock Bath, 3.61 miles, 1 hr 9 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Blacks Head, Wirksworth
14th Dec 2018, 12:23
Review submitted by Will Larter amended by Will Larter

14th Dec 2018, 12:22
Review submitted by Will Larter

• Accommodation : No last updated 24 April 2017 by ROB Camra
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 24 April 2017 by ROB Camra
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 24 April 2017 by ROB Camra
  • CAMRA Discount : Yes - 10p per pint, 5p per half - last updated 24 April 2017 by ROB Camra
  • Car Park : No last updated 24 April 2017 by ROB Camra