Reviewing milestone with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Wednesday, 22nd November 2017

Spanish Bar, Ilkeston Town, Ilkeston

Pub added by Alan Winfield
76 South Street
Ilkeston
DE7 5QJ

Reviews of Spanish Bar (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Al Bundy left this review about Spanish Bar

I was expecting some sort of tapas related nonsense here but was pleasantly surprised to find a decent, if slightly rough around the edges, pub. The place is bigger than it looks as it stretches back. 7 handpulls of which 5 were in use with one, sadly, dispensing Doom Bore. Beers from Oakham, Blue Monkey, Whim and Exmoor made up the others. A good pub.

On 2nd February 2019 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about Spanish Bar

Our visit coincided with a beer festival, but at first the pub was so busy that we struggled to find it. Eventually I made my way through the scrum in front of the small stage where some middle aged men were rendering their versions of 1970s minor hits and found a substantial stillage where about forty barrels and pins were arrayed. There were about half a dozen beers and a similar number of ciders left. This was the last day of the festival but the two beers I tried were both in excellent condition and at the correct temperature too. I hadn't realised that one of them, Salopian Polygraph, was a 7.4% monster, and I blame this for my failure to maintain sobriety for the latter half of our pub crawl. Regular beers on the bar included Whim Hartington IPA, as mentioned by previous reviewers, Fuzzy Duck Ruby Duck and Oakham Citra. I'd like to come back here when it's less busy, but on the other hand, the festival beers were such good quality I'd have no trouble in coming to the next festival either.

On 3rd July 2017 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about Spanish Bar

Unfortunately our two fellow reviewers below caught this pub on an off day. I was slightly dubious about visiting here. I think the name of the pub and the frontage of the pub made me think that the place could be a bit of a gimmick. Once through the doors, I soon found this to be a proper pub.
The main room was large with the bar to the left as you enter. There was another large room off to the right with a large screen on the end wall. There was a decent sized beer garden at the rear.
There were six handpumps, with five in operation. We were pleased to see they had Peak Ales Chatsworth Gold on, which was in top form. We also tried the Whim Brewery Hartington IPA.
We sat opposite the bar and enjoyed good banter with the locals. A busy pub, so I recommend to visit off peak.

On 25th February 2014 - rating: 9

View more reviews of Spanish Bar (6)
External web links for Spanish Bar

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Alan Winfield
Ilkeston, 1.16 miles, 22 min walk (show)
Langley Mill, 4.3 miles, 1 hr 22 min walk (show)
Bulwell, 6.47 miles, 2 hr 5 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Spanish Bar, Ilkeston