In the Hop Garden with rpadam on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Will Larter
Submitted on Wednesday, 4th March 2020

Kings Head, Richmond

Pub added by aleand hearty
Gunnerside
Postal town: Richmond
DL11 6LD

Reviews of Kings Head (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about Kings Head

This pub turned out to be my consolation for having to reroute my cycle ride because of snow and ice on the moors around Swaledale. It was still cold in Swaledale, but at least not dangerous, and the presence of a fire in the hearth was very welcome. Also a welcome sight was two Black Sheep hand pumps on the bar - I could have had the Pale but went for my favourite, the Best Bitter. This was in really excellent condition, with that superb dry and bitter finish that makes this beer one of the best in the country, in my opinion. I had a very pleasant stop, as this is a very nice pub and the welcome from the woman serving was not limited to just a greeting: she was happy to engage with her customers about walking and cycling, and possibly even dogs, for all I know, though none entered while I was here. This is one that I'll look forward to revisiting.

On 5th March 2020 - rating: 8

Ian Mapp left this review about The Kings Head

First stop on day 3 of the Inn Way. Nice pub with Askrigg Ales on (we had a gold). An awful lot of signs telling you what you can and cant do. "To avoid further damage, dont touch the fire"

All pleasant enough and perfect for our needs.

Photos at my walking blog - http://bit.ly/1SRduGp

On 19th April 2016 - rating: 7

. Wittenden left this review about The Kings Head

A small stonebuilt single room pub in the centre of this popular village in the Yorkshire Dales. Solid bar at one end,open fire t’other. Flagstones, low ceiling and beams. We’ve visited this pub several times over the years,back to the days when it was the home of Swaled’ales:now the beer choice seems less egregious-on my October visit I enjoyed a couple of pints of Blacksheep Progress(by the standards of Blacksheep, fairly hoppy.) I did notice, however, pump clips relating to the innovative Yorkshire Dales Brewery from Askrigg.
The new landlady seems very friendly, and the menu looked interesting, though we haven’t eaten there. In the season I would suggest that the Kings gets pretty crowded, but on my visit it was the epitome of a quiet, cosy dog friendly pub.

Update 19/10/2014
After a long period of dereliction and major structural repairs the King’s Head reopened on the 17th.October 2014.Superficially, the main alteration seems to be that the bar now faces the front door, allowing the formation of discrete public areas. However the pub was so busy we had difficulty getting inside on a balmily warm October evening. On the bar, alongside the usual fizzy offerings were three handpumps offering Black Sheep Best, Golden Sheep, and the more unusual Riggwelter. The Rigg and the Best were in fine condition. Menus displayed indicated that the food would be reasonably priced by Dales standards.

On 19th October 2014 - no rating submitted

View more reviews of Kings Head (5)
External web links for Kings Head

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Alan Hurdle
Kirkby Stephen, 16.05 miles, 5 hr 9 min walk (show)
Garsdale, 16.31 miles, 5 hr 14 min walk (show)
Dent, 19.12 miles, 6 hr 9 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Kings Head, Gunnerside
5th Mar 2020, 12:33
Review submitted by Will Larter amended by Will Larter

5th Mar 2020, 12:32
Review submitted by Will Larter

• Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 18 December 2012 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 18 December 2012 by hondo .