New pub visits 2022 with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Submitted on Sunday, 24th October 2021

Kings Head, Richmond

Pub added by aleand hearty
Gunnerside
Postal town: Richmond
DL11 6LD

Reviews of Kings Head (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

. Wittenden left this review about Kings Head

A small stonebuilt single room pub in the centre of this popular village in the Yorkshire Dales. Solid bar at one end,open fire t’other. Flagstones, low ceiling and beams. We’ve visited this pub several times over the years,back to the days when it was the home of Swaled’ales:now the beer choice seems less egregious-on my October visit I enjoyed a couple of pints of Blacksheep Progress(by the standards of Blacksheep, fairly hoppy.) I did notice, however, pump clips relating to the innovative Yorkshire Dales Brewery from Askrigg.
The new landlady seems very friendly, and the menu looked interesting, though we haven’t eaten there. In the season I would suggest that the Kings gets pretty crowded, but on my visit it was the epitome of a quiet, cosy dog friendly pub.

Update 19/10/2014
After a long period of dereliction and major structural repairs the King’s Head reopened on the 17th.October 2014.Superficially, the main alteration seems to be that the bar now faces the front door, allowing the formation of discrete public areas. However the pub was so busy we had difficulty getting inside on a balmily warm October evening. On the bar, alongside the usual fizzy offerings were three handpumps offering Black Sheep Best, Golden Sheep, and the more unusual Riggwelter. The Rigg and the Best were in fine condition. Menus displayed indicated that the food would be reasonably priced by Dales standards.

Update 31/10/21
After another prolonged period of closure,the King's Head was acquired by a consortium of villagers during the Pandemic and is now being run by a tenant and his family.On our most recent visit,on a mirksome October Sunday evening, a number of folk were enjoying meals,while preparations were underway for the first post Covid pub quiz.
A first for me, I sat in a rocking chair by the wood burning stove,enjoying a couple of beers from my favoured Yorkshire Dales Brewery.

On 31st October 2021 - no rating submitted

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Kings Head

Attractive Swaledale village pub, with a simple stone-flagged bar and a larger dining area to one side. Built sideways on to the road, there is also room for a few wooden benches at the front away from what little passing traffic there is. Four real ales on handpump: Black Sheep, a pair from Yorkshire Dales - Swale Trail Pale and Butter Tubs - and Old Peculier. The Bobby Horn's cider from Black Sheep was also noted on the keg taps, along with a 'house' Pilsner (from Cameron's, apparently).

On 20th August 2021 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about Kings Head

This pub turned out to be my consolation for having to reroute my cycle ride because of snow and ice on the moors around Swaledale. It was still cold in Swaledale, but at least not dangerous, and the presence of a fire in the hearth was very welcome. Also a welcome sight was two Black Sheep hand pumps on the bar - I could have had the Pale but went for my favourite, the Best Bitter. This was in really excellent condition, with that superb dry and bitter finish that makes this beer one of the best in the country, in my opinion. I had a very pleasant stop, as this is a very nice pub and the welcome from the woman serving was not limited to just a greeting: she was happy to engage with her customers about walking and cycling, and possibly even dogs, for all I know, though none entered while I was here. This is one that I'll look forward to revisiting.

On 5th March 2020 - rating: 8

View more reviews of Kings Head (6)
External web links for Kings Head

Map location corrected by Alan Hurdle
Kirkby Stephen, 16.05 miles, 5 hr 9 min walk (show)
Garsdale, 16.31 miles, 5 hr 14 min walk (show)
Dent, 19.12 miles, 6 hr 9 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Kings Head, Gunnerside
31st Oct 2021, 21:44
Review submitted by . Wittenden amended by . Wittenden

24th Oct 2021, 16:32
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

• Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 18 December 2012 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 18 December 2012 by hondo .