Served areas on Pubs Galore with rpadam on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Monday, 17th May 2010

The Great House, Gills Green, Cranbrook

Gills Green
Cranbrook
TN18 5EJ

Tweets by The Great House
The Great House The Great House Some people like Tea but we like Gin! Come and let us pour you a tipple today #elitepubs https://t.co/YYcTGuGWFo https://t.co/873NRdLLAt 12:05 PM Mar 1st 2018 from Hootsuite
View the full twitter feed for The Great House

Reviews of The Great House (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

. Wittenden left this review about The Great House

A white weatherboarded,timber framed pub,previously known as the Wellington, and intriguingly as the Staymakers,on the outskirts of Hawkhurst. Part of the local Elitepubs chain,it is largely given over to dining,but it maintains a sizeable bar where drinkers are made welcome. Our visit,on a July Saturday evening, just before the great heat,was enjoyable, but not to such an extent that we would go out of our way to return.
The beer,from Harveys and Tonbridge,was adequate but not epic,and I found myself eyeing the Curious Brew tap. However the staff, albeit charming, were transient and untrained in the art of acknowledging the waiting drinker at the bar. we saw no one obviously in charge, and we left while asking ourselves if it is actually a pub.

On 29th July 2019 - no rating submitted

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Great House

Having not been here for years (decades?), I was expecting that this historic white weatherborded inn to have been 'done over' in the interests of gastropubification. In many ways the interior has been, but I have rarely walked into a pub on a Sunday afternoon to find such a relaxed and warm atmosphere. Two handpumps, with Harveys Sussex and Old (on very good form, and cheaper than I expected at £3.05) on. Two other points to note - firstly, the very curious choice of turquoise plastic chairs out in the beer garden; and secondly, receiving a friendly "Thank you, monsieur" (said without any irony) when I took my empty glass back to the bar!

On 11th April 2010 - rating: 8

External web links for The Great House

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Etchingham, 5.28 miles, 1 hr 41 min walk (show)
Robertsbridge, 6.73 miles, 2 hr 9 min walk (show)
Stonegate, 8.43 miles, 2 hr 42 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Great House, Cranbrook