Yet another list with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

155 Terminus Road
Eastbourne
BN21 3NU

Pub Type

Oak Tree (Mitchells & Butlers)

Reviews of Duke of Devonshire (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about Duke of Devonshire

The wife and I visited here for a beer and some lunch last Thursday afternoon as I hadn’t been in since the name change from BN21 to The Duke of Devonshire which happened some time ago. There has been some change as the nauseating self promotion on the plasma screens has gone and muted rolling news with subtitles is now shown and the R&B has been replaced by inoffensive chart hits, during the daytime anyway. The cheap drinks and food are still present with Wetherspoonesque promotions available, but this pub reminds more of the Barracuda chain and after much hunting through the menus and signs I found no mention of the owners, which I feel may be wholly intentional. The ale choice may lead one to believe that this is a Greene King pub as IPA, Old Speckled Hen and Marstons EPA were available alongside Harveys Best and Pride, but who knows. I do know that the Guinness was very good and fantastically cheap at £2.75 a pint, but the service left a lot to be desired and my burger was well done to say the least and the cheese was missing from my wife’s jacket potato topped with cheese, but this was quickly rectified without fuss. I suppose that one gets what one pays for!

There are some café style tables out the front and this place is known locally as ‘that pub with the chairs on the high street’. Children are only permitted if dining with an adult.

I suppose that this pub has changed for the better and less than £3 for any pint can’t be scoffed at, but I think that there are better pubs in the area where the extra silver coinage is worth every penny.

Also, the pool table has been removed.

----------------------------------------------------------

12th August 2008

The BN21 is a big cavernous L-shaped pub that has a pool table, sells cheap lager and plays modern dance/R&B music. The barmaid that served me was very polite and there is some outside seating on the high street. I think that the psychedelic displays and self advertising on the screens hanging from the ceiling may be going a little too far.

Not really my scene, but I don't see anything wrong with the place if you like these sorts of pubs.

On 7th December 2010 - rating: 5

This pub features in the following crawls:
Eastbourne by Roy Collins
External web links for Duke of Devonshire

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by elizabeth mcgraw
Eastbourne, 0.33 miles, 6 min walk (show)
Hampden Park (Sussex), 2.93 miles, 56 min walk (show)
Pevensey & Westham, 4.23 miles, 1 hr 21 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Duke of Devonshire, Eastbourne
22nd Dec 2018, 15:26
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

22nd Dec 2018, 14:42
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off

• Pool Table : No last updated 07 December 2010 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally