Random news of the day with Spinko on the Pub Forum

22 Sheet Street
Windsor
SL4 1BG
Phone: 01753862031

Reviews of The Corner House (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about The Corner House

We just had time for a swift half in the Corner House before a trip to the panto in Windsor.

The Corner House was very quiet on this visit. Luckily it still accepts any existing loyalty cards where you used to buy 9 pints and get the 10th free. I'm pretty much there with mine. Although the card is now a bit of an antique!

Ales on this time were Southwark Harvard & Huell Melon, Siren Broken Dream & Lumina, Beatnikz Republic Tropic Fiesta DDH & Wild Weather Calleva. Ciders were Thistly Cross Whisky Cask, Lilley's Gladiator, SeaCider Blood Orange & Farmer Jim's Medium. In addition, there are a fair few cradt beers dispensed from taps at the rear of the bar.

There was no problem with the quality of our ciders, but the reduced range of 6 cask ales suggests that they are indeed struggling for beer turnover in the currant climate.

Nevertheless, I still think that this pub is worth supporting and I'm sure I will be back when next in Windsor.

On 21st December 2021 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about The Corner House

Back again, as another mate wanted to try the place. A similar take to previous – many beers on but a real mixed bag on the quality. My first choice of Kent Prohibition was in decent shape although it didn’t fully clear (NBSS 3). Because I remember everything and learn nothing, I swapped off that for a Big Smoke Solaris that was an undrinkable phenol mess. Taken back and poured through quite some amount but it didn’t really improve. Almost empty on Saturday afternoon bar two other girls drinking something that wasn’t beer. In fact I think our pints were the only ones poured in the 40-odd minutes I was here. I will learn from this and give the place a swerve in the future as there is clearly an inherent problem.

December 2017
Took in this one again on the behest of my companion who said “it’s changed, there’s loads of ales on, you’ll really like it”. I was immediately suspicious of the ‘loads’ part as that’s sometimes quantity over quality. And so it proved. There were at least 10 handpumps with a mix of ales and ciders in the tastefully refurbished interior. The first one I had was well past it’s best, flat as a pancake, and I took it back. The girl behind the bar gave me a lecture about “ale is meant to be flat blah blah” at which point I had to resort to the nuclear option of telling her that I have spent many years as a CAMRA member at branch committee level and that, oddly enough, I knew the difference thanks. After a swift reverse-ferret by her, the beer was changed for another which was utterly average but I couldn’t be bothered to go through the routine again. My companion managed to get a good one, so I switched to that. Noted that she didn’t take the bad one off, though I did see that as I was leaving a bloke was behind the bar changing the barrel on the offending pump – I took him to be the manager (or competent – who knows?). Subsequently I was surprised to find that this place is run by those behind the Antelope in Surbiton and Sussex Arms in Twickenham. I’d be prepared to try it again based on the good experiences I have had in their other pubs, but this one was a poor experience. Rated 5

March 2014
A newly-monikered Greene King pub (was Lime Bar) which I presume to be a gay-friendly venue, as it advertises ‘camp cabaret’ with the strapline 'be free or just be'. Given the barracks are a stone’s throw away I guess are familiar with the local market?! A fairly unremarkable L shaped interior, though the intimate booth room to left of bar looked nice. Big on candles, one at every table. A large screen above an unused feature fireplace was scrolling through pub events. Muzak of choice was dubious Aerosmith tracks being piped out. I retreated upstairs to the advertised ‘decked rooftop smoking terrace’ which turned out to be very tidy and a sign on the wall promoting table-sharing was a welcome touch. At the bar, GK London Glory and Black Sheep on pump; my Black Sheep tasted rather GK-like to me but it was a decent half nonetheless. Only one other customer, must be more of an evening venue I guess. Not one I’d head back to myself but may well serve a niche locally. Rated 5

On 16th September 2021 - rating: 4

Pub SignMan left this review about The Corner House

This is an attractive Grade II listed street corner pub with a large U-shaped layout centred around a centrally positioned servery. The bar has a beautiful U-shaped counter with attractive curved ends, a dark panelled counter front and a part matching bar back with some modern white tiling playing host to the ubiquitous row of craft keg taps. All of this stands beneath a pleasant gantry which has been topped with a number of figurines of jazz musicians, plus a ceramic bottle collection. Seating in the front part of the pub was limited to a row of high stools along a drinking ledge that runs beneath the pub’s front sash windows, with a similar arrangement also available to the right before giving way to a small rear room where button backed banquettes run around the walls, creating a cosy snug-like space. Similar banquettes can also be found to in the front right corner of the pub, albeit in a more opened out space beneath a large TV screen which was turned off through the course of my time here. To the left, you pass through an arch where more seating can be found, although this is mainly in the form of tables and chairs, giving the space a bit of a dining room feel. Walls throughout the pub are painted in dark colours and various seemingly randomly selected paintings add nothing to the pub’s overall look and feel – that honour goes to the ceiling, which has been liberally covered in pump clips, making it very clear that the pub is pushing itself as an alehouse. Some classic indie tunes played in the background at quite a loud volume, but not so much so as to impede conversation. I believe there is also a function room upstairs, but I didn’t get around to exploring properly.
I think I counted ten hand pumps on the bar, four of which were out of use, leaving a choice of Big Smoke Solaris, Marble Pint, Oakham Citra, Harveys Sussex Best and Stardust Optic, plus a Seacider cider. One of the efficient team of bar staff took my order and served up a competent if unspectacular pint of the Marble, which left me wondering whether they were slightly overstretching themselves by having five ales on whilst social distancing was still in place.
I was hoping I would be really impressed by this place, which sounds on paper like a great place to try out some good cask ale, but left feeling it was good without really getting all that close to being essential. It all felt a bit dark, empty and characterless, but I appreciate I may feel different once proper crowds are allowed back in again. I’d definitely check this one out again, but it didn’t become my default ‘go-to’ place for Windsor, like I’d expected it to.

On 26th August 2021 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Corner House (7)
External web links for The Corner House

Map location corrected by hondo .
Windsor & Eton Central, 0.35 miles, 6 min walk (show)
Windsor & Eton Riverside, 0.55 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Datchet, 2.06 miles, 39 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Corner House, Windsor
1st Jul 2022, 23:10
Picture submitted by Blackthorn _ approved

1st Jul 2022, 23:10
Picture submitted by Blackthorn _ approved

• Accommodation : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Beer Garden : Yes - Decked terrace upstairs - last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Car Park : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Child Friendly : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Darts : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Function Room : Yes last updated 20 April 2022 by Quinno _
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 22 October 2018 by hondo .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Karaoke : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 26 August 2021 by Pub SignMan
  • Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 19 January 2018 by Komakino .
  • Micropub : No last updated 16 September 2021 by Quinno _