pubs galore bar with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Ivychurch
Ivychurch
Postal town: Romney Marsh
TN29 0AL

Reviews of The Bell Inn (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Bell Inn

I had a similar experience to the previous reviewer on my recent visit to this pub. Having inserted myself between the only other customers - three blokes on stools at the bar in front of the pumps - I discovered that the five ales on were the Sharp's pair of Doom Bar and Atlantic, St Austell Trelawney, Whitstable Cockle Warmer, and Tiny Rebel FUBAR. I would say that this was a slightly better selection than Will encountered, but again nothing local. I went for the FUBAR, which I was reliably informed was an acronym that would not be explained on TV before the watershed. It was, however, an excellent pint in super condition. All pints of real ale were only £2.90, and being from London I obviously had to do a double-take on being asked for £5.80 for two pints. I didn't see a menu (we were in at about 5.00 PM on a Monday) but I'm sure they would do food at appropriate times.

There was what would have to be regarded as a sports room on the right, as it contained a pool table, games machine, an old fashioned jukebox of all things, and a large screen TV, and no furnishings to speak of. In the main bar area furnishings were mainly settles and normal tables and chairs. It had really low ceilings, as is usually the case with these country pubs. I was having a pint with a RICS member who kindly informed me that the red things on the floor were 8x8 quarry tiles, and that the uneven ceiling was a lathe and plaster affair. A notable feature was the bookcase near the bar counter that had on it jars of pickles, and books of course, that were being sold with proceeds going to the Lord Whisky Animal Sanctuary and RNLI respectively.

The place was very quiet during our early evening visit. I enjoyed my relatively short visit, no doubt aided by the excellent pint of Tiny Rebel FUBAR.

On 15th January 2017 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn sits in front of the attractive church, with a view across to what may once have been the village green but is now a playground. A long building, there is also a beer garden to the side and a few benches in front. The central bar has five hand pumps, whose contents I had difficulty perceiving because of people sat in front of them. Eventually I was able to list Sharps Doom Bar and Atlantic, St Austell Squire Trelawny, GK Morland Original and Brains Reverend James. I thought for one dreadful moment that the Kent brewing industry had suffered a catastrophic collapse, but it seems instead, from the state of the beer garden, that a considerable amount of money has been spent on the pub recently, and my guess is that the beer list reflects this. To be fair, our halves of whatever bland beer we drank were in excellent condition, but it seems such a waste to bring this sort of tasteless rubbish all the way from South Wales or Cornwall, when there are so many good beers brewed nearby. Nice pub, pity about the beer, would be my assessment.

Date of visit: 31st August 2016

On 5th September 2016 - rating: 6

E TA left this review about Bell Inn

The Bell is a better-than-average village pub, quite large and airy inside (feels a bit like a modern renovation), which serves reasonable food and very good beer. The music was awful, but apart from that the experience was very positive. The locals were friendly; this has the air of a welcoming community pub rather than a museum piece. There were 5 ales on. I thoroughly enjoyed my pint of Henry IPA but sadly couldn't stay for more. Worth finding for lunch or an early evening meal.

On 15th March 2010 - rating: 7

External web links for The Bell Inn

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Appledore (Kent), 4.16 miles, 1 hr 20 min walk (show)
Ham Street, 4.44 miles, 1 hr 25 min walk (show)
Rye, 9.51 miles, 3 hr 3 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Bell Inn, Ivychurch