WHERE are you drinking RIGHT NOW. with Oggwyn Trench on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Wednesday, 13th February 2019
With picture contributions to 20731 other pubs

The Apple, Bristol Central, Bristol

Bristol Docks, Welsh Back
Bristol
BS1 4SB

Tweets by The Apple
The Apple The Apple Cider I up boss! Come for a delicious pint on our quayside, dogs welcome 12:30 PM Apr 22nd 2017 from Instagram
View the full twitter feed for The Apple

Reviews of The Apple (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Apple

An interesting cider boat or barge, parked up along the quay. We couldn't refuse our cider drinking pal a visit here, so we gave it a go. This was a busy venue on our Saturday afternoon visit, with the majority of the drinkers on the top deck, and a good few drinkers on dry land along the quay. The first thing we noted, was that they only sold real ale in bottles. So two of our party went for the Bristol Beer Factory Southville Hop, only realising later that it was 6.5%. I went for a Cider mixed with sloe berries decanted from a clear glass bottle on the bar at 7.5% and I have to say it tasted delicious.

On 12th October 2016 - rating: 7

Malden man left this review about The Apple

I'm not really a cider drinker but as I was passing by, I decided to have a look out of interest. The bar is below deck, at the end, and has around half a dozen ciders and a perry on handpump plus plenty more in bottles. There is no draught beer, but Bath Ales Gem is available in bottled form, and there was quite a selection of rums to choose from. I chose a cider using my random pointing technique but the barman enquired if I had had the particular one before as it is "an acquired taste". It was from Cheddar, full name unknown, however fair play to the barman who was dead right, and suffice to say I won't be attempting to "acquire" that taste at all. I ended up with a half of something very pleasant if seriously dry. Food seemed to consist mainly of various interpretations of ploughman's lunches.
More seating on the deck with plastic curtains to shield the wind and a couple of serious patio type heaters to keep the chill off. Lots of seating also on dry land where there is the biggest jumberella I am yet to see.
Certainly worth a visit if you like cider, and as I did, for a bit of a novelty too.

On 21st February 2012 - rating: 6

Blackthorn _ left this review about The Apple

A pleasant barge conveniently situated at the end of King Street specialising very much in cider as you might infer from it’s name. There's a reasonable sized bar area on the lower deck, although as Quinno has said the actual bar counter is ridiculously small. There is outside seating on the top deck which is surprisingly warm even on a cold evening thanks to the heaters and plastic curtains. It's nicely done out with a good view over the docks and a few fairy lights strung around which give it an attractive look. There's also a small amount of outside seating on the dock side, and this gets very busy when the sun is out.

The board outside proudly proclaims that it offers “the finest range of ciders on earth”. Quite a claim to live up to, but as Bristol is the cider capital of the world I guess it’s a distinct possibility. The Orchard offers a better range on tap, although I’m not sure how many they do bottled. There was no sign of any beer on offer so it wouldn’t suit many of the regulars on this site I guess. Mrs. B. requested a lager and the only options were served in cans!

Half a dozen or so ciders are chalked up on a board, and there was no less than 21 different bottles available. On this occasion the ciders on tap included the rather pleasant Happy Daze, Rich’s Medium, Wilkins Dry, Cheddar Valley, Sheppy's Sweet, Heck's Perry and the Old Bristolian which is only served in half pint glasses. I was expecting something similar to the Exhibition from the Coronation Tap, but was a bit disappointed with this. It has a distinctly sherry like taste to it.

I seem to recall they don’t open on Mondays, so bear this in mind if you’re planning a special trip.

On 19th August 2011 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Apple (4)
External web links for The Apple

Map location corrected by Dave McNally
Bristol Temple Meads, 0.99 miles, 19 min walk (show)
Bedminster, 1.37 miles, 27 min walk (show)
Montpelier, 1.51 miles, 29 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Apple, Bristol
17th Feb 2019, 20:16
Picture submitted by john mcgraw approved

13th Feb 2019, 12:10
Picture submitted by john mcgraw

• Accommodation : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Beer Garden : Yes - Cobblestone seating on the dockside - last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Car Park : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _