Yet another list with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Wednesday, 23rd December 2009
With picture contributions to 20449 other pubs

The Old Cannon, Bury St. Edmunds Central, Bury St. Edmunds

86 Cannon Street
Bury St. Edmunds
IP33 1JR
Tweets by The Old Cannon
Beer@TheOldCannon Beer@TheOldCannon Happy Christmas beer lovers!! Coming soon ( whether you like it or not ) 'Beer'exit! #oldcannonbreweryhttps://t.co/Hzju6fn94F 9:13 PM Dec 25th from Twitter Lite
View the full twitter feed for Beer@TheOldCannon

Reviews of The Old Cannon (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

paulof horsham left this review about The Old Cannon

Plenty of polished wood and brewery equipment on show at this established brewpub. I was keen to check out an alternative to the big brewery in town. I enquired at the bar but the barman seemed pretty unenthusiastic about the ales on offer. Once I'd tried mine, I began to appreciate his indifference. 'Black Pig' turns out to be brown; and boring.

While it's all very comfortable inside and you can look out onto a pleasant back street, I struggled to see the point here. Given the dominance of Greene King in these parts, I'd hoped for a bit more passion, but just didn't find it. Maybe next time?

On 5th June 2014 - rating: 4

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Old Cannon Brewery

UPDATE JUNE 2013

I was very disappointed with this pub on our return visit. The welcome and the friendliness we experienced on our first visit had disappeared and the staff have become uppity. One of the guest beers was well past its sell by date and it took a lot of persuasion by me, to convince the barmaid to refund my £3.40 for a pint. I would have changed it for another beer, but with her attitude we bailed out.

Original Review 2011

Situated in a residential part of town and easy to find. All the staff very friendly and helpful. If you're into real ales, you can't miss this one out. On my visit I had the good fortune of smelling the malted barley as they had just finished a mash. Five on handpump Adnams, Old Cannon Brew Brass Monkey. I enjoyed the Old Cannon Brewery Blonde Bombshell, OCB Best, Arbour Ales Bushcraft and Reigate Brewery Pilgrams Progress. Also they serve great food with a good menu choice. Defo will return

On 2nd July 2013 - rating: 10

Pub SignMan left this review about The Old Cannon Brewery

A small micro-brewery pub situated down the back streets of Bury St Edmunds, but easily reached by foot from the town centre or train station.
Three ales were on from their own range - Best Bitter, Blonde Bombshell and Brass Monkey - plus two guests, one of which was Brew Dog Trashy Blonde. The Brass Monkey wasn't to my taste, but the Blonde Bombshell was lovely.
The pub has various bits of brewing paraphernalia dotted around the place, but is otherwise a bit of a bland, gastro-pub format. There is a decent looking menu and a partitioning wall screens the bar from an area presumably preferred by diners. No food on Sunday's though, so don't get caught out as we did.
Bury is unsurprisingly dominated by Greene King pubs, so this is a refreshing and compelling alternative. Even on a Sunday night, this was the busiest pubs I saw in town, which must say something for it. Well worth investigating.

On 9th May 2010 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Old Cannon (6)
External web links for The Old Cannon

Map location is best guess
Bury St Edmunds, 0.37 miles, 7 min walk (show)
Thurston, 4.69 miles, 1 hr 30 min walk (show)
Elmswell, 9.83 miles, 3 hr 9 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Old Cannon, Bury St. Edmunds
22nd Sep 2015, 20:44
Picture submitted by Graham Mason approved

2nd Sep 2015, 15:02
Picture submitted by Graham Mason approved

• Beer Festivals : Yes - August - last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 16 May 2008 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 02 July 2013 by moby duck