Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd November 2020) with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Wellingborough
NN8 1BD

Pub Type

J D Wetherspoon

Reviews of The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon) (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon)

As Wetherspoon's go, this was one of the worst, if not the worst I've ever been in.

I was greeted by a female employee, who was immediately confrontational and was only interested in telling everybody that orders need to be made using the Wetherspoons app. On enquiring if the app now accepted CAMRA vouchers, I was told no it didn't. I asked how I could use the CAMRA voucher and she repeated that ordering was table service only and through the app. So, I asked if the vouchers were no longer being accepted. She said that they were, but not via the app. On stating that I'd placed orders and the vouchers had been accepted in other branches, she said that the government laws had changed. On telling her that I had used vouchers since the law change, she said they could not be accepted today, as they were too busy (most tables were unoccupied). In all likelihood, they would be accepted tomorrow! That wasn't much good for me, as my train ticket was only valid for that particular day.

After being convinced that the girl was intent on being obstructive and that there was no reasoning with her, I decided to venture in and have a half instead.

As above, finding a table was easy, as the pub was quiet. The interior was typical Wetherspoon's and there were plenty of (all female) staff on hand to pour and serve drinks.

After downloading the app and seemingly ordering a drink, I waited and waited and waited.

After 20 minutes, I grabbed one member of staff to double-check if my half of Arundel Black Stallion was in their system. It wasn't. This member of staff was much more helpful and watched as I tried to order the drink again. It seemingly failed again. So, she proposed that I paid directly with a card, something which the other member of staff said I couldn't do.

So, I ended up upgrading my half to a pint and using my CAMRA voucher!! In hindsight, I wish that I hadn't. The Black Stallion was almost undrinkable. It had clearly been around for far too long. But after 30 minutes of waiting for a drink and with a table booked (the perils of Covid drinking) in another pub, I drank as much as I could before swiftly heading to the exit.

An utterly terrible experience. I was wondering why this establishment has never made the Good Beer Guide. Now, I know why.

Other ales on were Greene King Abbot, Ruddles Best, Sharp's Doom Bar, Ringwood Forty Niner, Hook Norton Old Hooky & Shepherd Neame Spitfire. The real cider was Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon.

On 1st October 2020 - rating: 2

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon)

I thought the interior of this Spoons was very drab and tired looking. The walls were all painted in a cream colour, which had darkened over time and the main feature around the pub was dark framing around the walls and pillars. The entrance to the pub was small and narrow considering the length of the pub, this area also had a semi circle of two steps leading into the main room. The bar had a good choice of ciders, just a pity their ale selection was dire.

On 7th February 2019 - rating: 5

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon)

Large-looking 'spoons conversion, externally a rather strange amalgamation of two different buildings but all the same inside. Standard-issue furniture, but there are quite a few historical display panels about the place. Rather disappointing selection of real ales from six of ten handpumps, and my pint of Tring Side Pocket (£2.40) was a bit hazy too.

On 12th February 2017 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon) (5)
External web links for The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon)

Map location corrected by Alan Winfield
Wellingborough, 0.98 miles, 18 min walk (show)
Kettering, 8.07 miles, 2 hr 35 min walk (show)
Northampton, 11.64 miles, 3 hr 44 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Red Well (JD Wetherspoon), Wellingborough
1st Oct 2020, 13:11
Review submitted by Blue Scrumpy

7th Feb 2019, 18:30
Review submitted by Real Ale Ray

• Accommodation : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : Yes last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Dog Friendly : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 16 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Jukebox : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Micropub : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Quiz Night : No last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 16 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Real Cider : Yes last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • Wheelchair Access : Yes last updated 21 May 2015 by Aqualung .
  • WiFi : Yes last updated 16 July 2013 by Dave McNally