Summer 2020 crawl - possible venues with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

E11
E11 1HH

Pub Type

J D Wetherspoon

Reviews of The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon) (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

David Hughes left this review about The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon)

After nearly a year of not going to this particular JDW, I was persuaded to give it another chance. I Shouldn't have bothered. I was served with a pint of 'Abbot' which seemed to have cleaning fluid in it. I tried to change it for 49er but was told that was being cleaned, ditto with the DoomBar. I settled for 'Strongbow'. I was joined by a mate who settled for John Smith's which he said tasted like 'cleaning fluid'. I went back up to the bar and was told the 'Abbot' was now alright, it wasn't so I left the Walnut and went to The Drum at The Bakers Arms for a very decent couple of 'Abbots'. The next day I spoke to my 'John Smith's' mate and he said that other friends of ours who joined him after I left had also had similar problems with various pints. Probably just a really bad day but it will certainly be a very long time before I ever go back. The staff never seem to be 'there' either physically or mentally.

On 29th November 2019 - rating: 4

Moby Duck left this review about The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon)

Formulaic Spoons, what you see is what you get, although my ELB Peacock was decent enough, the only reason I found myself here was born of the convenience of being open before other nearby pubs, ordinarily I wouldn't bother.

On 23rd March 2019 - rating: 4

Rex Rattus left this review about The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon)

I would agree that this is indeed a "by the numbers" 'spoons. You have the usual mix of furnishings crammed in, and prints on the walls of local scenes. Apparently it's a conversion from a Co-Op and other stores. There's a raised area on the right, and near the entrance is a most unusual piece of artwork resembling a stainless steel tree looking a bit like an Ent. I'm speculating that it's art - maybe it's there for some more sinister purpose like deterring any unsuspecting Elves or Dwarves from entering. But I was told that the pub supports local artists, so maybe I was right first time.

But more importantly the pub says it supports local breweries. And the evidence is there - my pint of Reunion Beardtongue was in great shape, as were the ELB beers (Orchid and Pale I think) sampled by my companions. The traditional breakfast was good as well.

The place was doing a good trade when we visited at around 11.15 AM, but not overly busy of course. This pub is everything you expect of a 'spoons.

On 7th April 2018 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon) (8)
External web links for The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon)

Map location corrected by Will Larter
Leytonstone High Road, 0.57 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Leyton Midland Road, 1.19 miles, 23 min walk (show)
Wood Street, 1.64 miles, 31 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Walnut Tree (JD Wetherspoon), E11
29th Nov 2019, 15:04
Review submitted by David Hughes

23rd Mar 2019, 08:43
Review submitted by Moby Duck

• Accommodation : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : Yes last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Darts : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Dog Friendly : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Quiz Night : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Real Cider : No last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • WiFi : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .