Yet another list with bcfczuluarmy on the Pub Forum

Image posted by moby duck
Submitted on Sunday, 10th March 2019

The Birds, Leytonstone, E11

692 High Road
E11
E11 3AA
Phone: 02085561131

Reviews of The Birds (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve of N21 left this review about The Birds

I think its safe to say I don’t think I am the target demographic for this one. I popped in for a quick one on a Wednesday evening when their pub quiz was in full flow and the guy running it behind the DJ deck had a brightly coloured hair extension that would not have been out of place in Sigue Sigue Sputnik and I would have probably raised the average age of any of the teams attending by at least 10, and how they were writing the answers down was a bit of a mystery as I had trouble seeing my way to the bar.
But when you get there the beer choice is not too bad. The same two Five Points Cask Ales as mentioned below and the Railway porter was rather good. And then as well as standard draft tap units on the bar there is a tiled craft tap wall with eight taps at the back of the bar. These were dominated by Laines brews but I also saw ones from Signature Brew, Fourpure, Hackney Brewery and Five Points.
Very well described by previous reviewers I didn’t see any table tennis table but then it could have been taken out for the quiz or covered over for use as a table. And I don’t think the wall art is meant to be David Beckham.
If I ever experience a “Self/Less” moment and transfer myself into the body of a 30 year old vegan I could find myself back here. Otherwise you’ll find me in the North Star when I am back in the area.

On 16th April 2019 - rating: 6

moby duck left this review about The Birds

This pub is of course perfectly described by Rex below and unchanged a year on. It tries to do "quirky" but doesn't quite manage to pull it off.Just the two cask beers on, Five Points XPA and Railway Porter,despite the former being in good form the pub itself doesn't do it for me.

On 23rd March 2019 - rating: 6

Rex Rattus left this review about The Birds

There were two ales from the Five Points Brewery on - the massive hopbomb that is XPA, and in contrast the Railway Porter. Both were in excellent condition. A third pump had a reversed clip, and I saw no sign of food (other than condiment rays on a central table) when we visited at around 12.30 on a Wednesday. I didn't buy the round so don't know the prices of the beers.

I've seen a photograph of the interior of this pub from about 50 years ago when it was The Crown. It couldn't be more different now. Then it still had the Victorian mahogany stillion in the middle of the central servery, as well the screening separating the bars, including etched and cut glazing. It's very different now, having been completely opened up, and the bar counter moved to the back wall. It does still have a bit of tiling near the side window where there would once have been a entrance, but it's been badly knocked about over the years. Also, the side entrance in Aylmer Rd still has most of the vestibule intact, including a bit of the original Charrington's green banded glazing.

Aqualung's comparison with an Antic pub is still valid. But as it was around midday when we visited it was very bright as the largish windows let in a lot of natural light. This allowed us to see what a bizarre place it had become; appropriate I guess as it's named after the bizarre film produced by local celebrity Sir Alfred Hitchcock. The table tennis table still dominates the centre of the room; birdcages (sans birds) hang from the ceiling; a rack on the wall has twenty or so stuffed black birds perched on it; a bank of sweet dispensers near the end of the bar counter dispense seeds instead of sweets (with a sign underneath that helpfully informs us that birdseed is for birds); a pommel horse is doing service as a three-seater tall stool; and there were other things I didn't recognise and whose purpose or use I couldn't fathom. Furnishings are cheap second hand tables and chairs, but with a few sofas around. All very Antic!

I would put this above the Khazi grading of a previous reviewer, mainly because the two ales were in such good condition.

On 7th April 2018 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Birds (7)
External web links for The Birds

Map location corrected by Will Larter
Leytonstone High Road, 0.52 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Leyton Midland Road, 1.12 miles, 21 min walk (show)
Wanstead Park, 1.67 miles, 32 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Birds, E11
16th Apr 2019, 14:43
Review submitted by Steve of N21 amended by Steve of N21

16th Apr 2019, 14:42
Review submitted by Steve of N21

• Accommodation : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : Yes last updated 13 July 2009 by hondo .
  • Function Room : Yes last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 13 July 2009 by hondo .
  • Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Micropub : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .
  • Real Cider : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Wheelchair Access : No last updated 21 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • WiFi : Yes last updated 22 March 2014 by hondo .