New pub visits 2022 with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Submitted on Saturday, 20th July 2019
Notifications

Requested be closed with reason - Temporary: Sheffield CAMRA have jumped the gun here and it's not yet open according to sheffield hatter

The Devonshire Cat, Sheffield

49 Wellington Street
Sheffield
S1 4HG

Reviews of The Devonshire Cat (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Devonshire Cat

Very different from my last visit over ten years ago - remodelled inside and even the repainted exterior of the block of student flats above make it almost seem like a new building on the same site. Now has a large central servery and plenty of seating of different types around it. I understand that the pub has been operated by Abbeydale since 2013, and four of its beers - including a decent Deception - were amongst the cask ales being dispensed from the three banks of four handpumps (although a few were unclipped on this visit). Plenty of interesting craft keg and bottled offerings, numerous gins and a full menu too so there is plenty here for those with different tastes. However, I would echo the comments from others about it being difficult to quickly work out exactly what beers are available, but it's still a good pub though.

On 28th July 2019 - rating: 7

Tris C left this review about The Devonshire Cat

I can't really add to the previous review. The pub may have excellent beer, but for the traditionalist it lacks. Add to that the presence of many students above, which probably explains why the place has the feel of a student bar.
For the record, my half of Abbydale's Deception New Zealand Pale Ale was very good and at £1.65, was bang-on average price for day. However, when in a pub, I prefer to have a thatched roof above my head rather than students.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 5

Steve of N21 left this review about The Devonshire Cat

As a good example of the fact that pub appreciation is a very subjective thing I have to say I did not warm to this one.
I am not in a position to pass judgement to whether the modern makeover of a few years back has improved the place or not, but it just left me all a bit cold and gave me the feeling that I was drinking in a student bar, which given the fact that it is now located below a Unite Student living accommodation block is probably not surprising and a strong steer to who the target demographic of this one is.
I also didn’t appreciate the fact that the 12 ale pumps are spread around the central square bar and you have to do a complete circuit to see what is available. For our visit there were seven ales on in the form of four from Abbeydale ( Deception, Daily Bread, Heathen and a vegan friendly Huckster Cryo ) Mallingsons Flight Risk, North Brewing co. Sputnik and Five Points Railway Porter.
And when I did find the beer listing board above the entrance to the toilets it looks like Wills observation from the review below is being recognised in that it wasn’t accurate and up to date. The Heathen was not on there and Abbeydale moonshine which had gone, was. Also half the cask boards had the beer followed by the brewery and the other half were the other way round, a small point I know, but a bloody annoying one. And as also mentioned below the keg boards were so busy that the reader would have benefitted from having access to the Hubble telescope.
But my biggest disappointment was that the Five Points Railway Porter is one of my favourite beers but I decided to duck this Hackney Brew for something more local in the shape of the Abbeydale Daily Bread, which turned out to be thin and lifeless. I’m not sure if that was the fault of the beer or the pub, but either way it left a bad taste in the mouth, literally.
I can see why others hold the Dev Cat in high esteem, but on the strength of my experiences of two days in Sheffield there are a lot more other pubs above this one on my list for a return visit.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Devonshire Cat (20)
External web links for The Devonshire Cat

Map location corrected by Andy Ven
Sheffield, 0.72 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Darnall, 3.45 miles, 1 hr 6 min walk (show)
Meadowhall, 4.45 miles, 1 hr 25 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Devonshire Cat, Sheffield
1st Sep 2021, 11:02
Request to mark pub as closed by ROB Camra approved

1st Sep 2021, 11:02
Request to mark pub as closed submitted by ROB Camra, with included notes: Temporary: Sheffield CAMRA have jumped the gun here and it's not yet open according to sheffield hatter

• Accommodation : No last updated 31 August 2021 by ROB Camra