Guess who I met today? with london calling on the Pub Forum

49 Wellington Street
Sheffield
S1 4HG

Tweets by The Devonshire Cat
The Devonshire Cat The Devonshire Cat New student in Sheffield? Come down to the Devonshire Cat and talk to a member of our team about how to claim a fre… https://t.co/afKSgxd5Nu about 9 hours ago from Twitter for Android
View the full twitter feed for The Devonshire Cat

Reviews of The Devonshire Cat (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Devonshire Cat

Very different from my last visit over ten years ago - remodelled inside and even the repainted exterior of the block of student flats above make it almost seem like a new building on the same site. Now has a large central servery and plenty of seating of different types around it. I understand that the pub has been operated by Abbeydale since 2013, and four of its beers - including a decent Deception - were amongst the cask ales being dispensed from the three banks of four handpumps (although a few were unclipped on this visit). Plenty of interesting craft keg and bottled offerings, numerous gins and a full menu too so there is plenty here for those with different tastes. However, I would echo the comments from others about it being difficult to quickly work out exactly what beers are available, but it's still a good pub though.

On 28th July 2019 - rating: 7

Tris C left this review about The Devonshire Cat

I can't really add to the previous review. The pub may have excellent beer, but for the traditionalist it lacks. Add to that the presence of many students above, which probably explains why the place has the feel of a student bar.
For the record, my half of Abbydale's Deception New Zealand Pale Ale was very good and at £1.65, was bang-on average price for day. However, when in a pub, I prefer to have a thatched roof above my head rather than students.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 5

Steve of N21 left this review about The Devonshire Cat

As a good example of the fact that pub appreciation is a very subjective thing I have to say I did not warm to this one.
I am not in a position to pass judgement to whether the modern makeover of a few years back has improved the place or not, but it just left me all a bit cold and gave me the feeling that I was drinking in a student bar, which given the fact that it is now located below a Unite Student living accommodation block is probably not surprising and a strong steer to who the target demographic of this one is.
I also didn’t appreciate the fact that the 12 ale pumps are spread around the central square bar and you have to do a complete circuit to see what is available. For our visit there were seven ales on in the form of four from Abbeydale ( Deception, Daily Bread, Heathen and a vegan friendly Huckster Cryo ) Mallingsons Flight Risk, North Brewing co. Sputnik and Five Points Railway Porter.
And when I did find the beer listing board above the entrance to the toilets it looks like Wills observation from the review below is being recognised in that it wasn’t accurate and up to date. The Heathen was not on there and Abbeydale moonshine which had gone, was. Also half the cask boards had the beer followed by the brewery and the other half were the other way round, a small point I know, but a bloody annoying one. And as also mentioned below the keg boards were so busy that the reader would have benefitted from having access to the Hubble telescope.
But my biggest disappointment was that the Five Points Railway Porter is one of my favourite beers but I decided to duck this Hackney Brew for something more local in the shape of the Abbeydale Daily Bread, which turned out to be thin and lifeless. I’m not sure if that was the fault of the beer or the pub, but either way it left a bad taste in the mouth, literally.
I can see why others hold the Dev Cat in high esteem, but on the strength of my experiences of two days in Sheffield there are a lot more other pubs above this one on my list for a return visit.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Devonshire Cat (20)
External web links for The Devonshire Cat

Map location corrected by Andy Ven
Sheffield, 0.72 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Darnall, 3.45 miles, 1 hr 6 min walk (show)
Meadowhall, 4.45 miles, 1 hr 25 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Devonshire Cat, Sheffield
28th Jul 2019, 10:18

20th Jul 2019, 11:07
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

• Accommodation : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Beer Garden : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Jukebox : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Micropub : No last updated 15 July 2019 by Tris C
  • Pinball : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Pool Table : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Quiz Night : Yes - Sunday - last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Wheelchair Access : Yes last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .