Pubs giving a CAMRA discount list. with RealAleRobUK on the Pub Forum

49 Wellington Street
Sheffield
S1 4HG

Tweets by The Devonshire Cat
The Devonshire Cat The Devonshire Cat We're very much looking forward to seeing everyone covered in rainbows and enjoying some tasty @AbbeydaleBeers' bee… https://t.co/ugy1LLFbpr 11:55 AM Jul 15th from Twitter for Android
View the full twitter feed for The Devonshire Cat

Reviews of The Devonshire Cat (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Tris C left this review about The Devonshire Cat

I can't really add to the previous review. The pub may have excellent beer, but for the traditionalist it lacks. Add to that the presence of many students above, which probably explains why the place has the feel of a student bar.
For the record, my half of Abbydale's Deception New Zealand Pale Ale was very good and at £1.65, was bang-on average price for day. However, when in a pub, I prefer to have a thatched roof above my head rather than students.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 5

Steve of N21 left this review about The Devonshire Cat

As a good example of the fact that pub appreciation is a very subjective thing I have to say I did not warm to this one.
I am not in a position to pass judgement to whether the modern makeover of a few years back has improved the place or not, but it just left me all a bit cold and gave me the feeling that I was drinking in a student bar, which given the fact that it is now located below a Unite Student living accommodation block is probably not surprising and a strong steer to who the target demographic of this one is.
I also didn’t appreciate the fact that the 12 ale pumps are spread around the central square bar and you have to do a complete circuit to see what is available. For our visit there were seven ales on in the form of four from Abbeydale ( Deception, Daily Bread, Heathen and a vegan friendly Huckster Cryo ) Mallingsons Flight Risk, North Brewing co. Sputnik and Five Points Railway Porter.
And when I did find the beer listing board above the entrance to the toilets it looks like Wills observation from the review below is being recognised in that it wasn’t accurate and up to date. The Heathen was not on there and Abbeydale moonshine which had gone, was. Also half the cask boards had the beer followed by the brewery and the other half were the other way round, a small point I know, but a bloody annoying one. And as also mentioned below the keg boards were so busy that the reader would have benefitted from having access to the Hubble telescope.
But my biggest disappointment was that the Five Points Railway Porter is one of my favourite beers but I decided to duck this Hackney Brew for something more local in the shape of the Abbeydale Daily Bread, which turned out to be thin and lifeless. I’m not sure if that was the fault of the beer or the pub, but either way it left a bad taste in the mouth, literally.
I can see why others hold the Dev Cat in high esteem, but on the strength of my experiences of two days in Sheffield there are a lot more other pubs above this one on my list for a return visit.

On 15th July 2019 - rating: 6

Will Larter left this review about The Devonshire Cat

After a closure of a few weeks, the Dev Cat has now reopened with a complete internal revamp - there is now a central bar with seating in three distinct areas, including one that can be curtained off for semi-private parties. Apparently this makes service much quicker - thereby addressing a constant gripe of some I know who have been coming here off and on for years - but at the cost of making it much slower for a real ale aficionado to decide what to drink (of which more below). Evidence in support of the changes comes in the reported £16k takings in the first week after reopening - though to be fair I have no idea what the place took before the refurb!

My problem with the new format, from a beer tourist's point of view, is that the three groups of four hand pumps are spread around the bar and are badly lit, or certainly were on a Tuesday night, making the beer descriptions and pump clips hard to read. There is a blackboard which lists not only the (up to) 12 real ales and ciders but also the (up to) 16 keg offerings. The blackboard is situated above the steps leading to the toilets, which must make it a nightmare for the staff to change the listings, but more importantly makes it difficult for customers to choose their preferred drinks, as it is not completely visible from the bar area, even for those with the eyesight of a 20-year-old. Moreover, the beer descriptions are only available below the pump clips at the dimly lit bar - the blackboard beer listings are cluttered with the (I think unnecessary) information that a three pint growler costs three times the price of a pint - on every beer! However, I presume they know they client base better than I do, and maybe they sell lots of growlers to students who are unable to multiply £3.20 by three. Or hope to.

Having said all this, I have to say that I had three beers here last night on my way home from work and enjoyed them all. The regulars seem to be Abbeydale Moonshine and Daily Bread, with another eight real ales and one cider on hand pump, mostly from northern breweries. I had Wold Top Coastal, Abbeydale Just Desserts and Great Heck Patrick. (See photos for beers available at the time of my visit.) A welcome return to Sheffield's real ale scene.

On 7th December 2016 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Devonshire Cat (20)
External web links for The Devonshire Cat

Map location corrected by Andy Ven
Sheffield, 0.72 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Darnall, 3.45 miles, 1 hr 6 min walk (show)
Meadowhall, 4.45 miles, 1 hr 25 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Devonshire Cat, Sheffield
15th Jul 2019, 18:08
Review submitted by Tris C

15th Jul 2019, 11:12
Review submitted by Steve of N21

• Accommodation : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Beer Garden : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Jukebox : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Micropub : No last updated 15 July 2019 by Tris C
  • Pinball : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Pool Table : No last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Quiz Night : Yes - Sunday - last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 27 July 2013 by Will Larter
  • Wheelchair Access : Yes last updated 16 November 2014 by Aqualung .
Opening Hours
Sunday12noon - 2am
Monday12noon - 2am
Tuesday12noon - 2am
Wednesday12noon - 2am
Thursday12noon - 2am
Friday12noon - 2am
Saturday12noon - 2am
Hours according to Facebook page, please check before making a special visit