WHERE are you drinking RIGHT NOW. with Oggwyn Trench on the Pub Forum

SE1 0LH
Phone: 02074013744

Reviews of Mc & Sons (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about Mc & Sons

They had four ales on in here - Doom Bar; Truman's Lazarus; a stout from West Berkshire Brewery; and Hamerton No 7 (5.2% and £4.60 a pint). Food is Thai only. You queue at the food counter towards the back and a young lady takes your money as you queue (all meals are £6 - eat in or takeaway) and you choose from the six dishes on display at the food counter. A bit retro - at one time food in almost all pubs was on display. Your selection is then shoveled into a cardboard box irrespective of whether you're eating in or taking it away. Personally, I would prefer the plate option, but I guess youngsters (and the majority of the clientele on the weekday lunchtime I visited were young) like eating out of bento box fast food containers.

This was my first visit since its Charles Dickens days, and I think I might prefer it now. The walls are covered with black and white photographs and prints - I recognised some of the subjects, such as the King of Thailand (although he would have subects rather than be a subject), JFK, and General Slim of WWII fame, but loads of others I didn't. I quite like that sort of thing. It's bare-boarded with only normal tables and chairs, and having a 10-seater table in the middle of the room being used as a communal dining table during the lunchtime peak. There's a little snug area on the right by the window at the front, which you can apparently hire for private use. I don't recall it being there when I've visited previously, so I guess it's a recent addition.

It was doing a very good trade in food on the Wednesday lunchtime I was in, so obviously they've hit on a winning formula. I paid for and received my pint; and paid for and received my Thai Panang curry in about five minutes, which is a boon if you're pushed for time. I would certainly visit this pub again, and would recommend it to anyone who is not put off by the smell of Thai currys and stir fries.

On 12th May 2018 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Mc & Sons

The former Charles Dickens has been given a vigorous makeover, albeit still in an alehouse style. The bar and rear room form one long rectangular space, although a small area just inside the door has been made into a modern-day snug. Fairly sparsely furnished in the drinking area opposite the counter, with more tables in the dining area further back. Hammerton N7, Moor Raw (£4.50) and Titanic Plum Porter available from three of four handpumps, with the other one being pulled through while I was there. Reasonable selection of craft keg beers and ciders too. Overall, not really the sort of place you would find by chance, despite being on a direct line between London Bridge and Waterloo, but well worth seeking out.

On 30th March 2018 - rating: 8

moby duck left this review about Mc & Sons

Nicely refurbed using old authentic pub furniture and fittings, the interior is opened out, the walls full of black and white photos.
Four handpumps were serving Sharps Atlantic,Hogs Back TEA, Hammerton Pentonville and Thornbridge Jaipur IPA which as John mentions below was excellent. It's been a long time coming but its much better now than as the Old Charles Dickens.

On 1st January 2018 - rating: 8

View more reviews of Mc & Sons (16)
External web links for Mc & Sons

Map location corrected by Bucking Fastard
London Waterloo, 0.64 miles, 12 min walk (show)
London Cannon Street, 0.79 miles, 15 min walk (show)
London Blackfriars, 2.35 miles, 45 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Mc & Sons, SE1