Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Rex Rattus
Submitted on Wednesday, 16th June 2010

The Victoria, Bermondsey, SE1

68-70 Pages Walk
SE1
SE1 4HL
Phone: 02072373248

Reviews of The Victoria (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Victoria

The only real ale on was London Pride – it was OK but not at its best – plus there was another unused handpump. I didn’t look at the full menu as I was just after a sandwich, but if the sarnies are anything to go by it will be reasonably priced. I had a tuna and salad baguette with a big bowl of chips (not fries) for £3.90.
The exterior is quite impressive with its original Truman’s signage, plus some foliage giving it a more rural look than the surrounding area as a whole. There were a handful and tables and chairs outside in a small patio area. Inside it’s a one room pub, with green plastic covered banquettes round the sides, with matching green stools, and standard tables. All the tables were covered by green tablecloths and were laid for diners, and all had a single rose in a small vase. All a bit chintzy in fact. So, it must be a food led pub then. As I was eating I sat at one of these tables (all the outside tables were occupied), but I tend to get the impression when all are set for diners that they don’t really want them to be occupied by those only drinking. But maybe they are available to drinkers when it’s not busy (there were only a handful of punters at the bar when I was in) – I don’t know, but in any case the place settings would act as a deterrent to drinkers. There were the usual stools at the bar, as well as at a small ledge just inside the door. Nonetheless, I quite like this pub. The landlord was friendly and welcoming, seemingly pleased to see a customer who had not been in before, which I appreciated. I don’t think that I would venture far out of my way for a pint of Pride (which was a bit iffy on my only visit), but I would be happy to give it another go when I’m next in the area.

On 18th June 2010 - rating: 7

External web links for The Victoria

Map location is best guess
Elephant & Castle, 0.92 miles, 17 min walk (show)
London Bridge, 0.98 miles, 18 min walk (show)
London Bridge, 0.98 miles, 18 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Victoria, SE1
15th Sep 2018, 17:45
Picture submitted by Graham Mason approved

15th Sep 2018, 17:45
Picture submitted by Graham Mason approved

• Hot Food : Yes last updated 18 June 2010 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 18 June 2010 by hondo .