WHERE are you drinking RIGHT NOW. with Real Ale Ray on the Pub Forum

27 Arlington Way
EC1
EC1R 1UY

Tweets by The Harlequin
View the full twitter feed for EasterIsland man

Reviews of The Harlequin (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

john gray left this review about Harlequin

Quaint sort of single room pub with lots of wood panelling.Could get to like this pub as it had a nice feel to it.Shame but they are a freehouse and in their wisdom have decided to choose from amongst the nearly 2000 British breweries the joy that is Doombar.Not for me.

On 11th March 2017 - rating: 5

Tris C left this review about Harlequin

Closed at weekends, this is an unpretentious little pub around the back of Sadler's Wells theatre, which we had yet to visit.

It's a simple, small place with bare boards, eclectic mixed furniture, a flame effect fire, piano at rear and lots of t and g panelling. Fairly quiet on our visit, we encountered the tail end of a quiz and the attendees seemed a friendly, youngish professional bunch. The staff were friendly and my pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord (£4.20) was good.

I'd probably give this pub at least two extra points but the one ale and restricted opening times are a hindrance. Additionally, the gent's lav is just a single crapper cubicle, no urinal. Nevertheless, it's far better than the awful Old Red Lion up the road and I will definitely return when in the area.

On 1st March 2016 - rating: 5

Roger Button left this review about Harlequin

A Free House since 1848 according to the board outside, the Harlequin was a fairly regular haunt for me some years ago when I worked in the area but a couple of recent return visits have left me with mixed impressions.

The pub is fine in itself, a basic back street pub set in a small, homely terrace of Dickensian shops just off the bustling Islington Angel main drag. The basic furnishings are suited to the bare floors and simple brick fireplace although there is a single sofa to the rear next to an upright piano. Archive posters for nearby the Sadlers Wells Theatre line the walls along with old photos of the area and there is a selection of board games. I didn’t spot any TV but I do recall there being a small basic TV until recently. The door to the gents also leads to a small enclosed patio although it would hardly be a suntrap with the towering walls surrounding.

What really sets the pub back for me are the astronomical beer prices – far higher than most places in the area. There are 3 hand pumps with Speckled Hen, Landlord and 1 that was unused on my recent visit. About 18 months ago I had a woeful pint of Black Sheep which was a hefty £3.40 at the time. My latest visit found me coughing up £3.70 for and admittedly much better quality pint of Landlord (which was also topped up without any prompting).

I really do like the pub and if the prices were more reasonable I would use the place far more frequently but until I win the lottery, visits will have to remain sporadic.

On 7th January 2011 - rating: 7

External web links for The Harlequin

Map location corrected by Tris C
Farringdon (London), 0.8 miles, 15 min walk (show)
London Kings Cross, 0.97 miles, 18 min walk (show)
Old Street, 1.04 miles, 20 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Harlequin, EC1