Wetherspoon's news of the day with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

Smarts Hill
Penshurst
Postal town: Tonbridge
TN11 8EP

Reviews of The Spotted Dog (Average Rating: 10 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Kellie ditchett left this review about The Spotted Dog

Fantastic country pub. We really enjoyed our meals and the ale was good. Views to die for from the back garden. All round great pub

On 15th September 2011 - rating: 10

. Wittenden left this review about The Spotted Dog

A pretty white weatherboarded freehouse, set below a quiet lane. The terraced front area has benches and umbrellas, at least in summer, and is a proper suntrap, the equally terraced back garden has wonderful views over the Weald. Inside, it’s mainly given over to dining, as is the case with most similar pubs. Plenty of exposed timberwork, together with some attractive panelling.As I recall, the food was tasty, albeit with rather small helpings.
This pub seems to have a revolving guest beer policy, with Harvey’s Sussex Best Bitter and Larkin’s Traditional as regulars.I admit to have been slightly disappointed with the Larkin’s: it didn’t seem to have that lovely toffeish character that I enjoy. Alongside these two was Wolf’s Golden Jackal, which I consider to be one of the best Golden Ales that I have come across. Also featured, but tried on this occasion, was Lifesaver ale from Bryson’s of Morecambe.

We enjoyed this pub, but it unfortunately is too far from home to become a regular haunt.

On 20th October 2010 - no rating submitted

Andy surman left this review about The Spotted Dog

Having been to this pub in 2009 and had the worst meal you could ever have. I'm glad to say I went back their last weekend and wow! what a change. Food and service was fantastic. I learnt that the pub had been taken over in the summer and not only was the steak and kidney pie one of the best I have ever had, the beer was perfect. One of the things I hate the last time I went was the toilets and to my amazement they have been done! My family and friends were just thrilled with the whole dinning experiance. Can highly recommend and can't wait to go back!

On 18th October 2010 - rating: 10

External web links for The Spotted Dog

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Ashurst (Kent), 2.96 miles, 57 min walk (show)
Penshurst, 3.19 miles, 1 hr 1 min walk (show)
Cowden, 3.43 miles, 1 hr 6 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Spotted Dog, Penshurst
10th Mar 2018, 21:59

10th Mar 2018, 21:59

• Beer Garden : Yes last updated 20 October 2010 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 20 October 2010 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 20 October 2010 by hondo .