Beer of the Week (w/e 10th November 2019) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

Image posted by train man
Submitted on Wednesday, 10th February 2010

Halfway House, Tonbridge

Horsmonden Road
Brenchley
Postal town: Tonbridge
TN12 7AX

Reviews of Halfway House (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about Halfway House

Now this is a country pub that is well worth seeking out and it gets a rare 10 from me. A seemingly unspoilt traditional building (or two buildings?), it features wood in many aspects: beams, pillars, floors, tables. The beer is served directly from several barrels on a stillage immediately behind the bar, by a barman who clearly knows his regular customers well. Beers are listed on a blackboard above the bar, and all are priced at £3.40 a pint. My pint of Tonbridge Rustic was absolutely gorgeous, a beautifully dark traditional bitter in superb condition - I was glad that I had asked for a pint rather than the half I would normally have when cycling. This was my beer of the week, by a fair distance. And my pub of the year, so far.

On 12th May 2019 - rating: 10

. Wittenden left this review about Halfway House

A pleasant old brick built pub, set at an angle to the road in a suntrap in the Isle of Wight area of Brenchley in the Weald of Kent.The entrance to the bar is to the side,through a door vaguely reminiscent of a 1950’s village hall.Inside, tables and chairs, a fine fireplace and the finest stillage imaginable,holding casks of, on our visit at the start of April a good selection of beers from Kent and further afield. The main body of the pub is comprised of little rooms and cubby holes, mostly laid up for dining,on different levels.Brick floors,exposed studwork.
Early on a sunny Sunday, most tables were reserved or taken, so we sat outside in the Adults Garden,at a remove from the family area.This area is home to the regular beer exhibitions hosted by the pub. The food was good,pleasantly served,though we mainly had starters, as I recall. Being part of my Goacher’s weekend, I stuck with their Fine Light and Goldstar,served by gravity,in my opinion the only way to serve Kentish beer. The Fine Light wasn’t as crisp and nettley as I’ve drunk it in the past, but the Goldstar was a revelation:stone fruit, biscuit malt and the undying grasp of Kent Goldings.
For a pub so near home, I don’t know why we hadn’t been there before:plans are already being laid for a return match.

On 14th May 2012 - no rating submitted

Pub SignMan left this review about Halfway House

After a long day spent walking in the Kent countryside we made our way to the Halfway House for some much needed hearty food and liquid refreshment. Whilst I was aware of the pub's fine reputation for good beer, I was not ready for the amazing multi-room, multi-level traditional country pub interior that all but took our breath away on entry. The eye is captured by a complex array of beams, pillars, shelves, supports and ledges which are adorned with pump clips, photos, miniature pub signs, books, farm and tradesman tools, beer bottles, hops and various other bits of brewerania. There are lots of different rooms, with the bar on what appears to be the highest level and several other areas, mostly being used by diners on this Saturday evening visit, spreading out down steps and along passageways. One room has some unusual bench seating with ledges along the tables, just above head height, whilst another is dominated by a large fireplace. There were at least two smaller, snug-like rooms that I spotted and a large beer garden provides even more seating and a children's play area.
All of the beers are served from stilage behind the bar counter and these are detailed on a blackboard at one end of the bar. We had a choice of Goachers Light Ale, Westerham 1965, Ushers 1836, Old Dairy Copper Top, Skinners Betty Stogs, Rother Valley Mild, King's Red River and a house beer called Halfway to Paradise. The Copper Top was fantastic and others in the group enjoyed the Goachers. Food is also listed on a blackboard in this area and apparently the menu changes relatively frequently. I tried the duck which came with a haggis and black pudding potato cake which, despite being a bit of an odd combination, was very tasty. The staff were all incredibly welcoming and the young lad who waited on our table was very helpful in sorting out a mistake with our order. I noticed a sign outside detailing an upcoming May Bank Holiday beer festival which will have 60 beers and should be a great day out.
I thought this place just about had everything you could want in a pub - a wonderful old interior, great food and beer, a lively atmosphere and friendly staff and locals. I'm very tempted to give a 10 out of 10 rating, but I usually reserve those for pubs that have stood up to repeat visits, so for now, based on my only visit, this is a very, very good 9 out of 10.

On 27th April 2011 - rating: 9

View more reviews of Halfway House (7)
External web links for Halfway House

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Paddock Wood, 3.15 miles, 1 hr 0 min walk (show)
Beltring, 5.08 miles, 1 hr 38 min walk (show)
Marden, 6.47 miles, 2 hr 4 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Halfway House, Brenchley