How Will Pubs Open? with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Tuesday, 16th October 2007

The Wheatsheaf, Waltham Abbey

146 Crooked Mile
Waltham Abbey
EN9 2ES
Phone: 01992711266

Reviews of The Wheatsheaf (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

BJ Montgomery left this review about The Wheatsheaf

Ordered our meals, asked for a credit card receipt, the guy acted like he could not hear me. No receipt, no proof or my order. Went outside - beautiful day. 45 minutes later one of our group went to ask where the food was. Others who ordered after us had theirs and they were the same dish. They checked and said it should be coming out soon. 10 minutes later a different person went inside to ask, they were told it was being plated and would be out shortly. 10 minutes later - one hour and 16 minutes - we were told it was done and would be the next one out. 15 minutes later (one of our group needed to leave to get to work), we were informed that the printer had jammed, and the food was just then being prepared. As they were making it then we could not just leave and get a refund. In the next 30 minutes we got excuses like there are no receipts as the printer does not work, the food is being cooked, and we would have the food shortly. Finally my dish came and it was not as explained in the menu. I got more excuses. Several people saw the problems we were having and came over to speak to us. Some had been waiting for over an hour for just one plate of chips. Finally the manager said that after I got my meal I could come in side for a single drink on the house. 8 people standing around for almost 2 hours. By then it was cold, there was no seating inside and one of our group as late for work and got in trouble. We were lied to four times. Twice by the manager - and he knew he was lying. As number of other people got up and left at the same time.

I am an American and after 8 years of living in the UK, this is worst service I have ever had. They claim to be independently owned and were told there is nothing we can do about the terrible service and nothing they would do to make it right.
They make their money in the drinks and all they want is people to come and get drunk.

They stated they are not part of the McMullen group, but they use their menu. They said they are independently owned and can treat people how ever they want.

Never got my meal. Claimed I ordered something else than what I did, the waitress came out with a printed receipt (which the manager claimed they could not do) that shows just what I ordered. Then they were going to give me my money back, but it was for a meal which did not show up on my receipt. They wanted to rob me.

On 11th April 2017 - rating: 1

Tom Webb left this review about The Wheatsheaf

This has got to be the worst pub meals my wife and I have ever experienced. As for the staff, apart from one who raised half a smile, they must be the answer to global warming.

On 27th September 2008 - rating: 6

Alan Winfield left this review about The Wheatsheaf

The Wheatsheaf is to the north of the twon centre and it resembles a roadhouse type pub.
Once inside the pub was fairly smart and comfortable and this pub is a McMullens tied house there was only one real ale on here this was McMullens AK bitter and this was a decent drink.
There is a garden at the back of the pub.

Pub visited 10/5/2003

On 10th May 2003 - rating: 7

External web links for The Wheatsheaf

Map location corrected by Philip Gaskin
Waltham Cross, 1.71 miles, 32 min walk (show)
Cheshunt, 2.11 miles, 40 min walk (show)
Theobalds Grove, 2.18 miles, 42 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Wheatsheaf, Waltham Abbey
11th Apr 2017, 08:36
Review submitted by BJ Montgomery

20th Mar 2012, 00:00
Picture submitted by Graham Mason approved

• Beer Garden : Yes last updated 24 July 2011 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 24 July 2011 by hondo .