PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread with NickDavies on the Pub Forum

51 Barnton Street
Stirling
FK8 1HH

Tweets by The Curly Coo
View the full twitter feed for CurlyCooStirling

Reviews of The Curly Coo (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Ian Mapp left this review about The Curly Coo

couldn't resist from the name alone.

More of a whisky bar - with loads available. One hand pull and the Inveralmond Lia Fail was in fine conditional.

Central bar with leather topped bench seating all around.

Lovely little boozer. Best in Stirling.

On 4th October 2019 - rating: 9

Will Larter left this review about The Curly Coo

Having found this pub closed on our previous visit to Stirling, I persuaded my daughter to join me for a post-prandial drink here this time around. Although its appearance is unpromising, this corner bar with central bar counter protruding into the room is instantly welcoming. The licencee proved to be a welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable woman; although the one hand pump was vacant, there were (in addition to the usual suspects) two very good beers which were either exceptionally well managed keg or some Scottish version delivered without the use of hand pumps (I neglected to enquire, but suspect the former). I went for Williams Brothers Joker IPA, which was vastly superior to the couple of times I've had this beer from the keg on previous visits to Scotland; my daughter had the Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted, which the sip I had told me was in equally good nick. When I exclaimed at how different it was from my previous experience of this beer when not real ale (i.e. cold and fizzy and tasteless), the landlady countered that she knew how to look after her beers, which clearly she does.

I don't know much about malt whiskey, and doubtless she will have steered us towards some of the more expensive examples at her disposal. Suffice to say that we spent more money than we had anticipated, but also had a better time than a cursory glance at the exterior of the pub had prepared us for. (It would have been even better if it hadn't been for the landlady's truly dreadful choice of music, but then nobody's perfect.)

Date of visit: 3rd June 2018

On 29th June 2018 - rating: 7

David Ross left this review about The Curly Coo

This externally unprepossessing and oddly named little corner bar turns out to be one of the most impressive pubs in Stirling. It boasts, justifiably, of being a “Malt Whiskey Heaven” and has 120 different varieties on sale. As a non-whiskey drinker, I opted for a pint of Tennent’s lager instead, which cost me £3.20. Guinness, Caledonia Best, Schiehallion, Dark Island Stout and Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted are also on draught. The bar and the pub itself are both triangular shaped and the clientele of mixed age. Music was playing, but at a low level which didn’t disturb conversations. All in all, this is an excellent pub and well worth the short walk along from the main streets of the city centre.

On 20th April 2015 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The Curly Coo (7)
External web links for The Curly Coo

Map location corrected by William Purnell
Stirling, 0.25 miles, 4 min walk (show)
Bridge of Allan, 3.1 miles, 59 min walk (show)
Dunblane, 5.39 miles, 1 hr 43 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Curly Coo, Stirling

• Bar Billiards : No last updated 03 November 2014 by William Purnell
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 03 November 2014 by William Purnell
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 03 November 2014 by William Purnell
  • Car Park : No last updated 03 November 2014 by William Purnell
  • Real Ale : Yes - Not always available - last updated 29 June 2018 by Will Larter
  • Real Cider : No last updated 29 June 2018 by Will Larter