Wetherspoon's news of the day with NickDavies on the Pub Forum

S1 2DD

Pub Type

Punch Taverns

Tweets by The Three Tuns
The Three Tuns The Three Tuns Come and try these tasty offerings about 17 hours ago from Hootsuite Inc.
View the full twitter feed for The Three Tuns

Reviews of The Three Tuns (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Three Tuns

This iconic pub has been through some sticky patches in recent years, but I caught it in vibrant mood on quiz night, bringing back memories of when I used to work just around the corner from here in the 00s. There are seven hand pumps, with a cider and five real ales on the go at the time of my visit: Wychwood Dirty Tackle, Abbeydale Moonshine, Theakstons Old Peculier, Ossett Blond and Titanic Plum Porter. My half of OP was a little tired but with no off flavours; I imagine the Wychwood would have been pretty weary too, as the Rugby Union Six Nations was long since over. However, this is nit picking, as the pub was as lively and pleasant as I remember it in the days when I used to finish work at around 5pm rather than 10. C'est la vie!

On 10th April 2019 - rating: 7

Pub SignMan left this review about The Three Tuns

A recent visit to this attractive wedge shaped pub resulted in one of the more surreal pub-going experiences I can recall. Having arrived to find the pub empty save for the barmaid and off duty landlady, I bought my pint and struck up conversation with the landlady who proceeded to give me a full tour of the pub, including all the behind the scenes stuff such as the empty flat above the left hand side of the pub, which have remained empty since the pub expanded from its street corner location into the adjacent resindential property in the 1980’s. I also got to hear the full history of the pub, which dates back to the 1840’s and apparently has a resident ghost. All very unexpected and certainly more entertaining than my original plan of sitting in the corner reading my paper. The pub’s best feature is the nice carpeted seating area down in the thin end of the wedge which boasts some comfortable banquettes and large windows to watch the world go by. The rest of the room is L shaped, with exposed floorboards, lots of dark wood and a good deal of comfortable seating. There is a fireplace on the far wall which looks like it would make a very cosy spot to huddle round in the winter, whilst a scale model of the pub is on show opposite the servery. Music played at a reasonable volume throughout my stay and I spotted a collection of board games piled up in one corner.
Four ales were available on the hand pumps – Abbeydale Moonshine, Wells Bombardier, White Rose White Lightning and Taylor Landlord. The Moonshine was in good nick and slipped down nicely as I climbed various spiral staircases on my rambling tour.
This was certainly an interesting visit and I have to say, it seemed like a pleasant enough place to enjoy a few beers. The landlady made me promise to return the next time I was in town, but I would want to come back when it’s a bit busier, as I’m not sure there’s much more of the pub that I can be shown around.

On 26th September 2012 - rating: 6

peter ashworth left this review about The Three Tuns

Flat iron shaped pub close to the Cathedral,that has had a good spruce up which features plenty of dark wood.Found the pub quite welcoming with a relaxed atmosphere plus five cask beers on the go.Definitely worth a visit.

On 24th May 2012 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 1984 recommendations about 1951 pubs]

View more reviews of The Three Tuns (6)
External web links for The Three Tuns

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Will Larter