pubs galore bar with london calling on the Pub Forum

The Brown Bear, Sheffield Central, Sheffield

109 Norfolk Street
Sheffield
S1 2JE

Reviews of The Brown Bear (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Brown Bear

One of the first pubs I went in after moving to Sheffield in December 1997; it wasn't a Sam Smiths pub then - I can remember drinking Ruddles County all night that Christmas Eve. It's not been a regular haunt over the years, but I don't mind popping in if someone suggests it. When a friend did just that last weekend, I thought I'd check whether a review was needed. When I saw that ROB Camra had paid 67p for a half of Light Mild in 2013 I thought I'd have to go for the same, just to see how much it had gone up in the last six years. I paid a whopping £1.34 - but that's because I asked for a pint: it's exactly the same price as it was all those years ago!

It was pretty busy in here on a Saturday afternoon, but I found the noise level tolerable (which is more than I could say when we moved on to the Head of Steam next door). This is a pretty decent pub for the city centre, smaller than most in the same ownership I would guess, and with nothing noteworthy in its appearance either inside or out, just a good solid pub.

On 23rd December 2019 - rating: 6

ROB Camra left this review about The Brown Bear

Small, two roomed Sam Smiths pub close to City Hall. Both rooms are nicely decorated and are very similar. Pictures of old Sheffield adorn the walls. 2 handpumps on the bar both badged with OBB of course. This is one of my least favourite beers, but they had the rare Light Mild on, so I had a half of that. It was an astonishing 67p for the half. It's a nice, neat little pub, but the lack of a decent beer will put me off visiting regularly.

On 20th September 2013 - rating: 6

Barry Marshall left this review about The Brown Bear

great unchanged pub..no music..no television..so you can hear yourself thinkand have a good chin wag....must be my age..friendly staff...also CHEAP BEER..ok not to eveyones liking..SAM SMITHS..good pint tho..

On 10th November 2010 - rating: 8

External web links for The Brown Bear

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Will Larter
Sheffield, 0.4 miles, 7 min walk (show)
Darnall, 3.03 miles, 58 min walk (show)
Meadowhall, 4.03 miles, 1 hr 17 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Brown Bear, Sheffield
23rd Dec 2019, 13:48
Review submitted by Will Larter amended by Will Larter

23rd Dec 2019, 13:46
Review submitted by Will Larter

• Real Ale : Yes last updated 20 September 2013 by hondo .