Random news of the day with Blackthorn on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Saturday, 15th November 2014

The Sair, Huddersfield

139 Lane Top
Linthwaite
Postal town: Huddersfield
HD7 5SG

Reviews of The Sair (Average Rating: 9 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Sair

I called in here by a circuitous route back to Sheffield from the Lake District, on one of the hottest days of the hottest summer I can remember, and with a train to catch from Huddersfield looming large, so I probably didn't give this pub the best chance to shine. The fact that I've given it a score of 8 must suggest that different circumstances could have resulted in a 10. This is a home brew pub with a full range of traditional beers - no need for guest beers on the bar. I limited myself to just two - Linfit Bitter 3.7% and Old Eli 5.3%. The latter may have been an odd choice in such warm weather, especially after climbing the hill from the bus stop on the main road, but it was a gorgeous beer anyway. I will certainly have to come back on a more conducive day for achieving that 10.

Date of visit: 19th July 2018

On 8th February 2019 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Sair

To get here, we took a minicab from the Swan over the over side of town, which only cost four quid. The pub was busy on our Saturday afternoon visit. There were eight handpumps with six in use, serving their own Linfit ales, which are brewed at the back of the pub. I initially went for the Autumn Gold, which was spot on, so went for another, whilst Mrs A went for the Gold Medal. A seat by the front window gave a spectacular view of the valley. This is a pub you would happily sit in for a few hours.

On 28th May 2016 - rating: 9

Pub SignMan left this review about The Sair

This is a fantastic traditional brewpub situated halfway up a breathtakingly steep hill overlooking the Colne Valley. The pub is easily reached by a 15 minute bus journey from Huddersfield bus station, and I had the good fortune to arrive via the 183 which drops you off at the top of the hill, before leaving on the 185, which picks you up at the bottom, thus saving me a lung-busting uphill slog. The pub has a multiple room layout, with the main bar to the right rear of the building. This area has a wooden floor and ceiling, banquette and low stool seating and a real fire, crackling away under a mantelpiece with carriage clock - all very homely. Hops and pewter tankards lined the servery, as did a good number of locals whilst an unobtrusive pub dog shambled around looking decidedly lost. To the left of the bar, a fairly large fish tank creates a divide to another room, which had a similar seating arrangement to the main bar, as well as a juke box that was playing a selection of classic rock tracks at a sensible volume. A rather smart looking front room had more of a lounge feel to it and I think there was a fourth room if memory serves, but I didn't explore further. The toilets effectively involve a trip outdoors where I believe you can also get a glimpse of the brewery.
There were six Linfit ales available on my visit - Linfit Bitter (£1.90), Special, Gold Medal (£2.20), Autumn Gold, Old Eli and Swift - alongside some unusual keg offerings such as DAB and Erdinger. The Linfit Bitter in particular was a lovely pint and at £1.90 I was tempted to enjoy a few more, but the infrequent evening buses meant that I had to head back sooner than I would have liked.
I'm really glad that I made the effort to make my way out to this excellent village pub. It wasn't too easy to find the place in the dark (I was stood next to it for about 5 minutes looking at my map and scratching my head), but the reward for persevering was some great beer at excellent prices in a warm and cosy environment. Well worth considering setting a bit of time aside to make your way here.

On 6th January 2012 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The Sair (6)
External web links for The Sair

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by BEN UNSWORTH
Slaithwaite, 1.62 miles, 31 min walk (show)
Lockwood, 2.49 miles, 48 min walk (show)
Berry Brow, 3.31 miles, 1 hr 4 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Sair, Linthwaite

Wednesday3pm - 11pm
Thursday3pm - 11pm
Friday12noon - 11pm
Saturday12noon - 11pm
Hours according to Facebook page, please check before making a special visit