WHERE are you drinking RIGHT NOW. with AlanH on the Pub Forum

1 High Street
Bookham
Postal town: Leatherhead
KT23 4AA

Reviews of The Old Crown (Average Rating: 4 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Moby Duck left this review about The Old Crown

A huge building and once must have been a massive corner pub, still pretty large despite a chunk of it now a nailbar as mentioned by Rex below four years ago,I am also as in the dark as he, about the Jewels Lounge. On my late lunchtime visit I found the pub in the middle of a refurb but open for business nevertheless, the smell of fresh paint hung heavy in the air and makeshift work benches were dotted around the bar suitably attended by workmen going about their daily chores. The pub still was operating unhindered though , but given the unrepaired ,work in progress state of the interior it was near impossible to judge what character if any this pub possesses. Well attended while I was there with, it appeared, the Lager drinking end of the spectrum ,there were however three handpumps in view, one unused the remainder sporting Doombar and Old Speckled Hen clips, I did a quick assessment of my surroundings, bottled it and settled for half a Stella costing the princely sum of £2.10. A separate room housed a pool table but didnt spot any Tvs or fruit machines, possibly removed while re-decoration took place.
It seemed a friendly enough locals pub but not one I am liable to return to.

On 14th January 2015 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about The Old Crown

This is a massive edifice of a pub dominating the corner of the High Street in the centre of Bookham village, with an attractive frontage promising a rewarding visit. Unfortunately the interior does not live up to the promise of the exterior. What would I suppose have been a separate bar on the right has been given over to a beauty salon, and the left of the pub is something called “Jewels Lounge”. I’ve no idea what this lounge was like as it was screened off during my weekday mid-afternoon visit. This was a bit like a pub with its limbs cut off, leaving just a bit of torso for regular drinkers. The smallish central bar that remains was not very attractive either. There were a few of those round bucket style seats that you can’t hang your coat over, some brown plastic upholstered bench cum sofas, and a handful of fairly low standard tables. This led to another small room at the back on the right containing a pool table and a dartboard. I saw at least three TVs on the wall, and of course there was a fruit machine.
At the back there was a garden with some picnic benches and, bizarrely, a couple of life sized plaster knights apparently guarding the lawn area for some reason. On my visit there was a steady stream of smokers going to and from the garden, which was doing no favours for the pub’s heating. There was just the one ale on during my visit – Deuchars IPA (£3.00 a pint) – with two further pumps unclipped. I saw no sign of any food or menus. In my view this pub is several notches down on the other two pubs within easy walking distance, and I doubt whether I’ll pay a return visit.

On 10th December 2010 - rating: 4

John Bonser left this review about The Old Crown

Occupying a prominent street corner position at the northern end of the High Street is The Old Crown, a large imposing brick building with a curved frontage.

High up above our heads, we see, in two separate places, fine tiling advertising Hodgsons Ales and Stout, a long gone brewery ( even before my time !) from Kingston – upon – Thames. The pub was obviously larger in those days as one of the sets of tiling is now, somewhat incongruously positioned over part of the building which is now a nail bar.

A fine porticoed entrance unfortunately leads us into a bare boarded charmless modernised interior and a bar dominated by lager and keg fonts. Probably because there were 3 TV screens showing the Spurs v Everton game, the pub had something of a sports bar feel to it. It quickly became clear that this is where the local “yoof” drink and that I was probably the oldest person in.

I retreated to the large outside garden at the rear where there’s a couple of odd stone statuettes of knights presiding over you while you sup.

There’s 3 pumps, but, on my visit, only a rather moderate London Pride - £ 3.00p – was on. I can’t imagine there’sc much real ale trade in here at all.

You’ll probably want to give this one a miss – as indeed I will next time

On 29th October 2010 - rating: 3

External web links for The Old Crown

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Rex Rattus
Bookham, 0.83 miles, 16 min walk (show)
Leatherhead, 2.68 miles, 51 min walk (show)
Effingham Junction, 2.72 miles, 52 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Old Crown, Bookham