Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd November 2020) with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Wednesday, 11th April 2018

The Barge, Grimsby

Riverhead, Victoria Street
Grimsby
DN31 1NH

Reviews of The Barge (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

custodian 42 left this review about The Barge

Yes, it's a barge with a list as mentioned below, but I soon got used to that. Toilets to the rear, bar on the right. Two hand pumps, bombardier which I hate and an Axholme brew which wasn't too bad. Doubt I'll return though.

On 10th March 2020 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about The Barge

I’ve drunk on a couple of permanently moored ships before but never a barge, until my visit here late on a recent Wednesday afternoon. A small ramp leads up to the entrance and a small seating area at the top of the stairs that lead down to the bar area. The bar, along the right-hand wall, faces seating along the left. More seating is found under the stairs from the entrance. I didn’t spot any televisions but there was a jukebox playing some background music. I noted that a weekly quiz is held here on Mondays.
The bar is stocked with standard keg and the two hand pumps were drawing Wells Bombardier and Axholme Brewery’s Cleethorpes Pale Ale. Pub grub is available, the burger is priced at £10.95. I found the service to be polite, but the floor was on the piss. It is only a slight list to the right, but it made me feel queasy, I was glad to leave even though this barge was quite pleasant. If I find myself here again, I think I will stick to one of the many picnic tables on terra firma out the front.

On 6th October 2019 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Barge

Curious set-up here - mostly conventional, with a permanently moored barge in the original town-centre port, some seating as you enter, and the main bar area below - but the whole thing has a slightly disconcerting 10° list which no-one else seemed to notice (apart, perhaps, from the few hardy souls sitting at one of the many quayside tables). Anyway, it does do real ale, with my pint of Hobgoblin (£3.10) being in good form, with the other one being Bombardier.

On 16th October 2016 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Barge (5)
External web links for The Barge

Map location corrected by Old Blue
Grimsby Town, 0.35 miles, 6 min walk (show)
Grimsby Docks, 0.87 miles, 16 min walk (show)
New Clee, 1.45 miles, 28 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Barge, Grimsby
10th Mar 2020, 14:10
Review submitted by custodian 42

6th Oct 2019, 13:25
Review submitted by Steve C

• Beer Garden : Yes last updated 24 June 2008 by hondo .
  • Jukebox : Yes last updated 24 June 2008 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 09 May 2014 by Dave McNally