New pub visits 2018 with Wild Rover on the Pub Forum

The Falcon Inn, Chester Central, Chester

Lower Bridge Street
Chester
CH1 1RS

Reviews of The Falcon Inn (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Jon B left this review about The Falcon Inn

the calmer of the two Sam Smiths museums in central Chester. this one is at the top of Lower Bridge Street and is well worth fitting in your CAMRA coach trips to this area if you can put up with their ale. it's a time warp inside and it felt like being back in my Grans living room today as I sat surrounded by chattering old women!

On 1st December 2018 - rating: 8

Rob Hunter left this review about The Falcon Inn

I have never really been a massive fan of Sam Smiths beers and as such have never really gone out of my way to venture into Sam Smiths pubs. The last one was over a year ago and my memory of the Old Brewery Bitter on cask didn't really leave me craving a repeat experience. However, fast forward to October 2018 and I find myself in Chester on a weekday. The Falcon is in my sights. I've done my research, I know it only has OBB on cask, so I decided to see what the keg options were. Keg beers are dispensed from those little illuminated square boxes which are quite charming (with the exception of one which was on a taller tap) and look reassuringly old fashioned. At the Falcon there was a choice of Extra Stout, Dark Mild, Taddy Lager, Alpine Lager, Pure Brewed Organic Lager, Sovereign Bitter and Cider Reserve. I went for the Extra Stout, which set me back £1.15 for a half, and was rather nice - and you definitely can't knock the price! Served in a Sam Smiths branded glass, head spilling over slightly, it actually looked like a thing of beauty.

Service was friendly, the pub was not busy at the time of my visit but I am sure with its prominent location and the age of the building it must pull the custom in without too much trouble.

They actually have a leaflet inside giving the history of the Falcon and its restoration, which you are free to take away, which I thought was a nice touch.

Overall a nice old pub, and I'm glad I called in.

On 11th October 2018 - rating: 7

Alan Hurdle left this review about The Falcon Inn

Visiting the Falcon for 1st visit in years. The (boring brown) Sam Smiths bitter is in excellent form. After "risking" a half for £1, I have returned to the bar and shelled out £2 for a full pint (yes it was full!).
A very pleasant relaxing time in this old beamed pub. It made my breakfast and pint in Wetherspoons seem expensive.

On 28th March 2018 - rating: 8

View more reviews of The Falcon Inn (16)
This pub features in the following crawls:
Chester (Completed) by Callum Jordan
External web links for The Falcon Inn

Map location corrected by Soup Dragon
Chester, 1.12 miles, 21 min walk (show)
Bache, 1.66 miles, 32 min walk (show)
Capenhurst, 6.55 miles, 2 hr 6 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Falcon Inn, Chester