Beer of the Week (w/e 26th May 2019) with aleandhearty on the Pub Forum

Chester
CH1 1RN

Pub Type

Punch Taverns

Reviews of Albion Inn (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about Albion Inn

Moorhouse Pride of Pendle and Thwaites' Lancaster Bomber were the ales on in here. Again I forgot to ask for the sparkler to be removed, and when the barman heard me mention this to my companion he offered to pull me another pint without the sparkler. That's service for you - declined of course, as it would have meant wasting a perfectly decent pint of beer. There were sandwiches, and something else called "butties" for £4.90, as well as very generously portioned main meals at reasonable prices as I recall.

A sign outside claims it's an atmospheric pub, and they're right on that one. It's essentially unchanged from previous reviewers' visits. The sign is still there advising on who isn't welcome, and the mass of WWI memorabilia is still to be seen everywhere in the pub. The layout can't have changed much since WWI either, retaining three very distinct rooms. The largest is on the left, accessed via a small vestibule, and is what I guess could be regarded as the lounge. When I was in it had been reserved for some private event - something literary or theatrical I think - but I managed to poke my nose in to see that it was a very comfortable looking room, with its own bar counter, and if possible had even more WWI stuff in it than the other rooms. To the right from the vestibule is a very small room with its own tiny bar counter, and with an old piano with ornate marquetry as its main feature. A doorway from this room leads through to a larger (but still quite small) room. All furnishings are tradtional - obviously.

I reckon that this is a quiet pub, or rather it was on the Wednesday lunchtime when we were in, with no music or TVs on to disturb anyone. I reckon that this is a gem of a pub, and should be on the "must visit" list for anyone visiting Chester.

On 16th September 2015 - rating: 8

Al Bundy left this review about Albion Inn

A great pub. A real 1914-1918 feel at 2015 prices. To add to authenticity the lights go out and the curtains are drawn every time an aeroplane or airship goes over head. Possibly. Outside is a sign informing potential customers who are not welcome e.g. hen/stag parties, drunken pub crawlers, anyone called Kaiser or Adolf. Like being in a war. Without the bombs.

On 21st June 2015 - rating: 9

Ian Mapp left this review about Albion Inn

On the list of pubs to visit and its unique atmosphere makes it worthy of a review.

Handily located by the Roman Garden (also a must visit) and the City Walls.

Outside, fairly unassuming.

Inside, packed to the rafters with WWI paraphernalia - the whole pub could come out of the 1910s. My Teenage Children said the smell reminded them of their great grandmother's house.

This smell was probably the food - which is based very much on WWI meals. My parents were enthralled on a previous visit. describing it as "Trench Food". My mother attempts at recreating the Shepherd's pie resulted in only partial success.

For the record, we ate the Staffordshire Oat Cake with Black Pudding and Potatoe - praised as being recommended by Rick Stein's food heros. I can only assume Rick is on a diet.

There were three beers on - although I missed the Black Sheep (fav) as it was only on the other side of the central bar. I went with some festive ale called Rudolf's something. In good nick.

So the question is quite what is this pub. I couldn't imaging it as anyone's local as it so quirky and so full of tourists (myself obviously included). One to experience the once, I would think.

On 12th December 2014 - rating: 7

View more reviews of Albion Inn (10)
External web links for Albion Inn

Map location corrected by Alan Hurdle
Chester, 1.05 miles, 20 min walk (show)
Bache, 1.74 miles, 33 min walk (show)
Capenhurst, 6.63 miles, 2 hr 7 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Albion Inn, Chester