Beer of the Week (w/e 9th January 2022) with Komakino on the Pub Forum

Wellgarth Crosshills
Masham
Postal town: Ripon
HG4 4EN

Reviews of White Bear Hotel (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Ian Mapp left this review about The White Bear

This had me confused. I am here looking for the black sheep brewery and after an 8 mile walk in the rain, was thinking I was too wet to go for a drink. I chanced my arm and said I wouldn't sit down as I was too soaked but as the place was empty - they allowed me to dry off in front of the fire. I have never been so grateful.

So I looked to the bar and saw everything was Theakstons. I though they had all fallen out - yet this is very much in Black Sheep territory.

I loved the pint of best and the attitude of the staff, who could have refused me service but instead, went out their way to make my comfortable.

Lovely.

On 13th October 2020 - rating: 10

Will Larter left this review about The White Bear

This fine building has been well described by OB below. Having not read his review before visiting the pub I was surprised to see Caledonian Deuchars IPA among the Theakstons beers on the bar. I went for the Old Peculier, which seemed to be more redolent of licorice than usual. The public bar or tap room to the right on entering is a pleasant place for a beer, though it was very quiet and I was the only customer at lunchtime on an October Tuesday.

On 5th November 2017 - rating: 7

Old Boots left this review about The White Bear

Located next door to the Black Sheep Brewery this is actually Theakston's main pub in their home town. The original pub was bombed in 1941 and this new hotel was converted from nearby brewery cottages. Most of the building is hotel but there is a restaurant to one side of the pub entrance and a small cosy taproom to the right. Décor in the restaurant side is simple with a few pictures and menus on blackboards, bare floorboards, some farming implements and little atmosphere. The taproom is far pleasanter to drink in. There are handpulls in each bar usually carrying the Theakston's range plus Deuchars,Guinness and a lager. The young staff are attentive and keen, the punters vary from richish diners to old locals. As the Theakstons showcase, in tandem with the Black Bull in Paradise, the beer quality is spot on.

On 15th October 2009 - no rating submitted

External web links for White Bear Hotel

Map location corrected by Old Boots
Thirsk, 13.42 miles, 4 hr 19 min walk (show)
Northallerton, 14.13 miles, 4 hr 32 min walk (show)
Knaresborough, 20.19 miles, 6 hr 29 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for White Bear Hotel, Masham
5th Dec 2021, 16:04
Web Link submitted by aleand hearty approved

5th Dec 2021, 16:03
Web Link submitted by aleand hearty

• Accommodation : Yes last updated 05 November 2017 by Will Larter