Covid Rules Stuff with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Image posted by paulof horsham
Submitted on Saturday, 6th July 2019

The Express Tavern, Brentford

56 Kew Bridge Road
Brentford
TW8 0EW
Phone: 02085608484

Tweets by The Express Tavern
View the full twitter feed for The Express Tavern

Reviews of The Express Tavern (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about The Express Tavern

I'm finally back to writing pub reviews. 107 days after my last pub visit, a period of time which included a 31-day alcohol fast to prove to myself that I wasn't an alcoholic (!), I'd made a reservation for 5 of us on opening day for the Express Tavern. Reservations wouldn't normally be my thing. But we did it to ensure we could enjoy a few drinks on what was clearly going to be a very busy opening day for pubs. As part of the Big Smoke chain of pubs, the Express has always been a fairly reliable place for a drink or two. So, it was an obvious choice when I saw that tables were available online.

Situated close to Kew Bridge station, the pub has a couple of rooms. There is a small bar are to the right on entry and a much larger drinking area to the left. This gives way to a new partly indoor area with a sliding roof and an outdoor drinking area just beyond.

Arriving shortly after opening, the welcome was a bit chaotic. A couple of bouncers "controlling" the door approached me after crossing the threshold. Quite a number of staff also approached me. It was clearly not the new norm to head straight to the bar, which I had done!

Once shown to our table, we were invited to download an app. Lots of questions and about 15 minutes later, we finally got our drinks. Selecting a beer/cider in this day and age can be difficult, given you don't necessarily know what is on. Moving around the pub was discouraged. The app did not provide any clues. Eventually, I worked out that the selection was Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter, Big Smoke Distant Lands, Kent Citra, Pig & Porter Trotty Veck, Thornbridge Strickland, Five Points Best, Thornbridge Jaipur & Triple fff Full Back Stout. The 2 ciders were Lilley's Wild Dog & Mango Cider.

We worked our way through all of the ales and ciders and enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon. The pub did get quite crowded and social distancing started to go out of the window, especially in the gents toilets. But that was perfectly understandable given the circumstances the pub had been placed in (what a great decision to open pubs on a Saturday).

After having several pints for the first time in a session since March, we all left feeling somewhat tipsy. It was only later that I discovered that use of the app had meant I had paid for a pint that we never actually received. Despite no reply from an email I sent to the pub, the mistake was rectified by Big Smoke themselves and I should hopefully get the pint I paid for on my next visit to one of their pubs! In addition, the pub normally operates a loyalty card system, where every 10th pint is free. With Covid-19, the cards could no longer be used and it was supposed to be honoured through the app. But our "waiter" did not know how to work the system. So, we missed out on a further 3 pints.

Overall, a good opening day's visit to the Express and I'm sure we'll be back soon.

On 4th August 2020 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about Express Tavern (Express Ale & Cider House)

A very inviting looking establishment, on our approach across Kew Bridge. Once through the doors we took a right into the Chiswick bar, where we had a choice of ten ales across the ten handpumps. The young barman was knowledgeable about his beer and offered us a few samples. I initially went for the Redmill Brewery Extra Pale Ale, which was excellent. I also tried the Siren Soundwave and Twickenham Naked Ladies, also in excellent shape and prices around £3.90 to £4. We really liked this pub and would have no problem revisiting.

On 7th November 2016 - rating: 8

Moby Duck left this review about Express Tavern (Express Ale & Cider House)

A prominent real ale drinkers, two bar pub handily placed next to Kew Bridge train station,14 pumps in evidence which I did't attempt to note but settled for a rather nice pint of Binghams Admiral. Obviously a destination pub.

On 20th June 2016 - rating: 8

View more reviews of The Express Tavern (16)
External web links for The Express Tavern

Map location corrected by Graham Coombs
Kew Bridge, 0.09 miles, 1 min walk (show)
Gunnersbury, 0.7 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Kew Gardens, 1.02 miles, 19 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Express Tavern, Brentford
4th Aug 2020, 10:49
Review submitted by Blue Scrumpy

6th Jul 2019, 14:56
Picture submitted by paulof horsham approved

• Accommodation : No last updated 30 September 2014 by ROB Camra