10th Anniversary Pub Crawl in Birmingham with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Brentford
TW8 0EW
Phone: 02085608484

Tweets by The Express Tavern
The Express Tavern The Express Tavern We are once again having a coffee morning to raise money for Macmillan nurses.. Friday 24th September 9am - 12pm pl… https://t.co/K0YGbqlh2y 10:50 AM Sep 22nd from Twitter for iPhone
View the full twitter feed for The Express Tavern

Reviews of The Express Tavern (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Express Tavern

Situated at a prominant position by Kew Bridge,this is an outstanding real ale venue and is also CAMRA Regionally Important Interior listed.The illuminated Bass signage is a local landmark at night.
The front entrance has two doors with inlaid etched glass,go right to the Chiswick Bar for the real ale.This is a small charming L shaped room with a narrow drinking shelf opposite the bar,then light leather fitted benches around the rest of the perimeter.There is an intruiging door frame with a clock above hinting at a private bar which has subsequently opened out creating a banquette affect .The paintwork is a mix of light and dark blue and there is a substantial ceiling rose.A drop down screen was showing the Test match on Sky muted.Light muzak was playing..Very homely and traditional.
The 10 handpumps have regulars Big Smoke Solaris Session,Harvey's Sussex Best and of course Bass while the 7 rotating guests were on my trip Thornbridge Jaipur IPA and Crackendale,Siren Yulu,Arbor Shangri La,Moor Revival, Big Smoke Underground Stout and Marble Lagonda IPA (NBSS 4).IMHO that one of the best ale lineups I've ever seen,clearly the team here know their ales and showcase outstanding brewers.
The left hand door is marked Saloon and Lounge and indeed there are two sections.The serving bar juts into the saloon and features 5 handpumped ciders.It's a comfortable square room with traditional furniture and has one wall decorated in Brentford's red and white stripes while the rear lounge has more dining style tables,some set for diners on my Friday lunchtime visit.However keep on walking and the tardis affect will soon hit you as there is a large conservatory and then an even larger rear beer garden with it's own serving shack with kegs and two handpumps for Harvey's Sussex Best and Big Smoke Solaris.To the left side of the building is a partially covered alley way,now full of large pic nic benches so although there maybe a concern about how the pub can cope when Brentford are playing at home,there is certainly a vast amount of seating in outside areas.
I chose a fish finger sandwich from the very reasonably priced food menu and it was superb,other options looked tempting.The service was friendly,and most professional.Everything is well done here.
This is an absolute must visit when in London,near the Thames Path and will feature on any subsequent visit I make to these parts.Why would I give it any less than full marks ?

On 4th September 2021 - rating: 10

Tris C left this review about The Express Tavern

Photographed seven years ago and now approached at dusk, the fading light revealing new dreamy tangerine livery, the Bass neon signage looking great. It also sports a painted 'Ale - Cider - Food' frieze, which looks suspiciously like a take on the one on Kentish Town's Southampton Arms.
The pub is well documented below and on CAMRA's pub heritage site; it has an interior of Regional Interest, though the current colour scheme doesn't seem to match that on the site, being now very blue or stripey; likewise, the flooring which now has flagstones rather than carpet, at least in the right-hand bar.
Customers seemed older rather than old and possibly a Pugger in the left-hand bar.
Ten pumps in operation with offerings from the likes of Big Smoke, Northern Monk, Five Points and of course draught Bass, so as not to contravene advertising standards.
I went for the Five Points XPA, served by a barmaid who seemed unaware of 'express', though it was in great condition and reasonably priced for the ‘new normal’ at £4.60.
Chosen as a quality hostelry to pen my one-thousandth review, it exceeded expectations and is a must-visit London alehouse, with an attractive, comfortable interior.

On 28th July 2021 - rating: 8

Blue Scrumpy left this review about The Express Tavern

I'm finally back to writing pub reviews. 107 days after my last pub visit, a period of time which included a 31-day alcohol fast to prove to myself that I wasn't an alcoholic (!), I'd made a reservation for 5 of us on opening day for the Express Tavern. Reservations wouldn't normally be my thing. But we did it to ensure we could enjoy a few drinks on what was clearly going to be a very busy opening day for pubs. As part of the Big Smoke chain of pubs, the Express has always been a fairly reliable place for a drink or two. So, it was an obvious choice when I saw that tables were available online.

Situated close to Kew Bridge station, the pub has a couple of rooms. There is a small bar are to the right on entry and a much larger drinking area to the left. This gives way to a new partly indoor area with a sliding roof and an outdoor drinking area just beyond.

Arriving shortly after opening, the welcome was a bit chaotic. A couple of bouncers "controlling" the door approached me after crossing the threshold. Quite a number of staff also approached me. It was clearly not the new norm to head straight to the bar, which I had done!

Once shown to our table, we were invited to download an app. Lots of questions and about 15 minutes later, we finally got our drinks. Selecting a beer/cider in this day and age can be difficult, given you don't necessarily know what is on. Moving around the pub was discouraged. The app did not provide any clues. Eventually, I worked out that the selection was Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter, Big Smoke Distant Lands, Kent Citra, Pig & Porter Trotty Veck, Thornbridge Strickland, Five Points Best, Thornbridge Jaipur & Triple fff Full Back Stout. The 2 ciders were Lilley's Wild Dog & Mango Cider.

We worked our way through all of the ales and ciders and enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon. The pub did get quite crowded and social distancing started to go out of the window, especially in the gents toilets. But that was perfectly understandable given the circumstances the pub had been placed in (what a great decision to open pubs on a Saturday).

After having several pints for the first time in a session since March, we all left feeling somewhat tipsy. It was only later that I discovered that use of the app had meant I had paid for a pint that we never actually received. Despite no reply from an email I sent to the pub, the mistake was rectified by Big Smoke themselves and I should hopefully get the pint I paid for on my next visit to one of their pubs! In addition, the pub normally operates a loyalty card system, where every 10th pint is free. With Covid-19, the cards could no longer be used and it was supposed to be honoured through the app. But our "waiter" did not know how to work the system. So, we missed out on a further 3 pints.

Overall, a good opening day's visit to the Express and I'm sure we'll be back soon.

On 4th August 2020 - rating: 8

View more reviews of The Express Tavern (18)
External web links for The Express Tavern

Map location corrected by Graham Coombs
Kew Bridge, 0.09 miles, 1 min walk (show)
Gunnersbury, 0.7 miles, 13 min walk (show)
Kew Gardens, 1.02 miles, 19 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Express Tavern, Brentford

• Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 15 March 2015 by Pub SignMan
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 30 September 2014 by ROB Camra
  • Jukebox : No last updated 15 March 2015 by Pub SignMan
  • Live Music : No last updated 30 September 2014 by ROB Camra
  • Live TV Sports : No - Possibly selective. - last updated 28 July 2021 by Tris C
  • Micropub : No last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan