Wetherspoon's news of the day with hondo on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Submitted on Sunday, 17th May 2020

The Red Lion, Ashford

14 High Street
Biddenden
Postal town: Ashford
TN27 8AH

Reviews of The Red Lion (Average Rating: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Red Lion

I liked this pub more than I thought that I would judging by a previous reviewer’s experience. This struck me as an archetypal country pub. It’s set in the very attractive Biddenden High Street, with its Tudor style flower bedecked shopfronts and traditional church. Inside it has the trademark low beams, nooks and crannies, brick fireplace and miscellaneous paraphernalia on the walls that you would expect in a well-maintained pub in the heart of Kent. Seating is traditional and comfortable. It looks as if the pub has been extended into an adjoining building at some point, which seems to be mainly used as a dining area. It’s not immediately apparent from the main bar, but there’s a separate public bar at the back containing a pool table.

There were two ales on – Masterbrew and the excellent Harvey’s Best Bitter. I had the latter, which was served perhaps a liitle too cold, but not really a problem when sitting outside the front of the pub on a very warm September day. When I was in at about 2.30 PM on Friday there were a few diners finishing their meals, and although I noticed a chalkboard menu on one of the walls, I failed to make a note of any details.

The service in here was friendly and welcoming, and we enjoyed our visit. I’m not likely to be visiting Biddenden again any time soon, but if I did I would be delighted to pay a return visit to this lovely pub.

On 7th September 2012 - rating: 7

Manky Badger left this review about The Red Lion

Pleasant enough pub. However they seem to put far more emphasis on the food side of the business than on the pub side. Two very average ales on the hand pump.
It's not a bad pub, I'd go back. But there are better pubs withing five minutes drive.

On 21st September 2008 - rating: 5

External web links for The Red Lion

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Rex Rattus
Headcorn, 4.34 miles, 1 hr 23 min walk (show)
Pluckley, 6.45 miles, 2 hr 4 min walk (show)
Staplehurst, 7.26 miles, 2 hr 20 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Red Lion, Biddenden