Random news of the day with Pangolin on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Tuesday, 8th September 2009

The Black Lion, Ashford

15 The Street
Appledore
Postal town: Ashford
TN26 2BU

Reviews of The Black Lion (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Black Lion

From the outside this looks very much like a village pub, but when we visited at around 6.00 PM on a Sunday evening it was essentially a restaurant. It's reasonably large, with quite a lot of normal tables and chairs, but when we walked in all were either occupied by diners, or reserved. But we enquired of a waitress if any were reserved for later in the evening and she identified one such. Personally I think it would be helpful if the reservation times were shown on the reserved signs so that anyone wanting a drink can know until when they can have the table - I don't know why some don't (most do) - can't be bothered I suppose. Anyway, the pub itself is quite comfortable (assuming you can bag a table of course), with a display of pump clips on the gantry at one end of the bar, and a delightful display of prints of old Coca Cola adverts at the back (e.g. Beach Girls from 1918, and Summer Girl from 1921). As we weren't eating we didn't get to see a menu, but some scran a couple were tucking into looked pretty good.

I was luckier with the beer than the previous reviewer, with Doom Bar, GK IPA, Whitstable Good as Goldings, and Goachers Pale Ale all being on. I don't suppose I'll get to Appledore again any time soon, but if I lived here I would use the pub - which I guess would be inevitable as it's now the only one in the village. But if you just want a drink it's best to avoid the busier times.

On 30th September 2016 - rating: 5

. Wittenden left this review about The Black Lion

A quick visit on a wet Monday evening in July. A substantial red brick pub next to the church in a picturesque village street. An L-shaped open plan bar, with the serving area opposite the front door. An interesting looking menu, though we didn’t eat there. I had a pint of Wells and Young’s Young’s Bitter, once nectar:now merely a reliable session beer. I had been looking forward to Goacher’s Fine Light Ale, but unfortunately it ran out before my very eyes.
Despite the rain, the pub was pleasingly busy for a Monday night, attracting a solid local trade.

On 1st August 2012 - no rating submitted

External web links for The Black Lion

Map location corrected by elizabeth mcgraw
Appledore (Kent), 1.38 miles, 26 min walk (show)
Ham Street, 4.82 miles, 1 hr 33 min walk (show)
Rye, 6.48 miles, 2 hr 5 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Black Lion, Appledore
30th Sep 2016, 23:00
Review submitted by Rex Rattus

1st Aug 2012, 23:35
Review submitted by . Wittenden

• Car Park : Yes - Few spaces at front. - last updated 30 September 2016 by Rex Rattus
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 30 September 2016 by Rex Rattus